My first mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecolin

Reaction score
I think I've got everything sorted out, I just had a few questions.

I've got a 5 liter (1.3 gallon) glass jug fermenter, to which I'm going to add 3.5 liters of water and 1.5 kgs of honey. Beer smith gives me and OG of 1.123.

I've got an activator pack of wyeast 4184 (70 billion calls). With such a small batch, should I bother with a starter or can I just pitch it directly?

Since it's my first mead, I wanted to try out a few different flavours. I was thinking about doing a separate infusion of different spices into pure alchohol, and then adding them post fermentation to work out the flavour balance and so I can have different kinds. Any potential problems with this approach?

And final question on aging. I have a bunch of bottles with swing top caps, how will they be for aging? Do I have to age them with an oxygen permeable top for the flavours to mature?

I looked around and I couldn't find the answers for my questions, sorry if they've been asked a million times before. :mug:

Back