My First Mead Questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melwyn

Reaction score
We are making our first 5 gallons of Mead in the morrow and was wondering what to do after we put the must in our Anvil fermentation tank, do we put the locked lid with airlock over the top or do we put cheese cloth over the top, and if so, how long does the cheese cloth stay on and when would we put the locked lid and airlock on it.
Also, do we stir the must when it is in the primary Fermentation tank and if so, how many times a day for how many days do I stir? I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

We are making our first 5 gallons of Mead in the morrow and was wondering what to do after we put the must in our Anvil fermentation tank, do we put the locked lid with airlock over the top or do we put cheese cloth over the top, and if so, how long does the cheese cloth stay on and when would we put the locked lid and airlock on it.
Also, do we stir the must when it is in the primary Fermentation tank and if so, how many times a day for how many days do I stir? I would appreciate any help. Thanks!
Melwyn

Welcome

All of the questions you asked are great questions. We could answer them here for you but there are so many opinions it might just confuse you more than help. These questions have been asked and answered lots of times on the forum. Search the forum there is a ton of information out there.

With thatbsaid I will try to summarize what I do in regards to this. Please understand the protocol I use is a bit dated (but then so am I) and others will recommend differing practices. But, it has worked for me for a good long while and change is hard for an old guy.

Look in the forums for key words like:
- Staggered Nutrient Addiiton (SNA or TOSNA)
- Yeast health
- Release CO2
- Open fermentation

Many do just place a clean cloth over the fermentor secured with a string or rubber band. Some even just leave it open to the air. I would suggest while active fermentation is taking place that bothe would be more than OK. Personally I always use a lid or bung with an airlock attached. Just peace of mind for me. I dont want anything crawling in there. (Including the grandkids or a flying lego block.)

The SNA and aeration or release of CO2 protocol i use releases CO2 2 X a day up to when 1/3 of the sugar is consumed and 1X a day up to when 2/3 of the sugar is consumed. With nutrients added at yeast pitch and both the 1/3 and 2/3 sugar breaks. There are many variations including doing nothing out there that folks use. Others will have their own practices that work for them. Experiment a bit and figure out what works for your yeast, honey and water.

To release the CO2 I stir by hand very slowly with a lees stirrer. WARNING the Must will foam a lot and has a bit of delay! (I have foamed over more than a few buckets and carboys.) Until you get used to it I would suggest placing your carboy in a wash tub or large plastic bin. Then once most of the foaming is done get more rigorous and can even use a drill.

To determine the sugar breaks take the Original Gravity (OG) minus the expected Final Gravity (FG) of 1.000 and divide by 3. Example OG 1.120 - 1.000 = 0.120 and 0.120 / 3 = 0.040

Then the OG minus the result for the first nutrient addition and the OG minus times 2 of the result for the second nutrient addition.
Examples
1/3 break is 1.120 - 0.040 = 1.080 release CO2 by stirring up to this point 2X a day and add nutrients at or near 1.080.
2/3 break is 1.120 - 0.080 = 1.040 release CO2 by stirring up to this point 1X a day and add nutrients at or near 1.040.

The nutrients I add are LD Carlson products Fermaid K and DAP mixed 2 to 1 by me for ease of use. I add 2 tsp at yeast pitch 1.5 tsp at 1/3 break and 1 tsp at 2/3 break. Again there are many variations and other nutrients out there.

Good liuck, enjoy the journey!

We got out must going just fine!! Thanks so much for all of the advice, it sure helps!

Last edited:
Quick update, we are bubbling right along! This takes me back home, with the smell of heavenly fermentation in the air! Thanks so much once again for all of your help!

Melwyn

Welcome

All of the questions you asked are great questions. We could answer them here for you but there are so many opinions it might just confuse you more than help. These questions have been asked and answered lots of times on the forum. Search the forum there is a ton of information out there.

With thatbsaid I will try to summarize what I do in regards to this. Please understand the protocol I use is a bit dated (but then so am I) and others will recommend differing practices. But, it has worked for me for a good long while and change is hard for an old guy.

Look in the forums for key words like:
- Staggered Nutrient Addiiton (SNA or TOSNA)
- Yeast health
- Release CO2
- Open fermentation

Many do just place a clean cloth over the fermentor secured with a string or rubber band. Some even just leave it open to the air. I would suggest while active fermentation is taking place that bothe would be more than OK. Personally I always use a lid or bung with an airlock attached. Just peace of mind for me. I dont want anything crawling in there. (Including the grandkids or a flying lego block.)

The SNA and aeration or release of CO2 protocol i use releases CO2 2 X a day up to when 1/3 of the sugar is consumed and 1X a day up to when 2/3 of the sugar is consumed. With nutrients added at yeast pitch and both the 1/3 and 2/3 sugar breaks. There are many variations including doing nothing out there that folks use. Others will have their own practices that work for them. Experiment a bit and figure out what works for your yeast, honey and water.

To release the CO2 I stir by hand very slowly with a lees stirrer. WARNING the Must will foam a lot and has a bit of delay! (I have foamed over more than a few buckets and carboys.) Until you get used to it I would suggest placing your carboy in a wash tub or large plastic bin. Then once most of the foaming is done get more rigorous and can even use a drill.

To determine the sugar breaks take the Original Gravity (OG) minus the expected Final Gravity (FG) of 1.000 and divide by 3. Example OG 1.120 - 1.000 = 0.120 and 0.120 / 3 = 0.040

Then the OG minus the result for the first nutrient addition and the OG minus times 2 of the result for the second nutrient addition.
Examples
1/3 break is 1.120 - 0.040 = 1.080 release CO2 by stirring up to this point 2X a day and add nutrients at or near 1.080.
2/3 break is 1.120 - 0.080 = 1.040 release CO2 by stirring up to this point 1X a day and add nutrients at or near 1.040.

The nutrients I add are LD Carlson products Fermaid K and DAP mixed 2 to 1 by me for ease of use. I add 2 tsp at yeast pitch 1.5 tsp at 1/3 break and 1 tsp at 2/3 break. Again there are many variations and other nutrients out there.

Good liuck, enjoy the journey!
Just to add a little detail to this great and comprehensive post of yours, it looks like fermaid k plus dap is not the best solution available anymore, but that fermaid o plus a bit of fermaid k yields better results taste wise.

Back