MY first mead and SNA and Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
I am making my first mead-type drink and chose Gordon Strong's Apple Pie Cyser from the BJCP mead study guide.
71b-1122
3 gallons fresh cider
12# of fall harvest honey
2#raw brown sugar
my OG was 1.138.

SNA process copy paste from BJCP mead study guide
Fermaid-K (yeast energizer) and diammonium phosphate or DAP (yeast nutrient) add the additional nutrient requirements of the yeast during fermentation. One teaspoon of Fermaid-K and two teaspoons DAP should be adequate for a five-gallon batch. You can mix them together for a stock blend and add them using the following schedule:
• Add ¾ teaspoon yeast energizer/nutrient mix immediately after pitching yeast.
• Add ¾ teaspoon yeast energizer/nutrient mix 24 hours after fermentation begins.
• Add ¾ teaspoon yeast energizer/nutrient mix 48 hours after fermentation begins.
• Add ¾ teaspoon yeast energizer/nutrient mix after 30% of the sugar has been depleted

I followed the gameplan but I missed the 30%, after 5-6 days I measured gravity and was down to 1.060 and was far from the 30% fermented point but added nutrients anyhow, and I was below the 50% point in which aeration is allowable, so I did not aerate.

There is not much I can do now but I think everything will be fine, any advice any one has on the upcoming steps for be appreciated!

Everything will be fine. Using Cider you have plenty of nutrients in the must. SNA and extra aeration is only a requirement for traditional meads (Honey/water/yeast) & when using finiky yeasts like Wyeast' Sweet Mead yeast. The SNA process just makes things a little smoother but again, your Lalvin 71b will ferment out just fine. Just a little de-gassing by rocking the carboy smoothly is all that is needed until fermentation is complete.

quick update: I am in secondary, and am about to add a pie spiced tea (vanilla bean, cinnamon sticks, cloves and a whole nutmeg) and add some glass shot glasses in hopes to displace headspace.

OG;1.134
now;1.016

tasting a sample was out of this world, not hot or boozy at all, some spices remain from the original local cider

I plan to serve this from a keg, is there any reason to not just rack into a corny keg for bulk aging one month with the spices prior to serving?

I'd suggest making sure its cleared properly, as 71B isnt a yeast that is good for ageing on. It can cause off flavours within a couple of months of the ferment finishing.

Hence its worth clearing it properly first, maybe with some bentonite or even sparkoloid.

Back