My first mead - a couple of years later

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

RichardNDL

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had an interesting experience. I recently opened my first mead. Back in October 2019 I made a gallon of traditional mead. My notes don't tell me what kind of yeast I used... could have been baker's yeast. I used 4 lbs of honey and water to fill a gallon, so I ended up with much less than a gallon. I didn't stabilize or backsweeten. I didn't measure ph or sg. It tasted somewhat like cough syrup... somewhat "medicinal" and very sweet. So I just opened the last bottle of that first mead, and it's pretty good. Strongly on the dessert side, still very sweet. But it's clear and very pleasant. I wish I knew how to measure the ABV after the fact.

Dan O

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had an interesting experience. I recently opened my first mead. Back in October 2019 I made a gallon of traditional mead. My notes don't tell me what kind of yeast I used... could have been baker's yeast. I used 4 lbs of honey and water to fill a gallon, so I ended up with much less than a gallon. I didn't stabilize or backsweeten. I didn't measure ph or sg. It tasted somewhat like cough syrup... somewhat "medicinal" and very sweet. So I just opened the last bottle of that first mead, and it's pretty good. Strongly on the dessert side, still very sweet. But it's clear and very pleasant. I wish I knew how to measure the ABV after the fact.
Honey gives approximately 35 points of gravity per pound/ gallon. 4 lbs would've/ should've put you in the range of 1.140. Did you take a gravity reading after it finished, before you bottled?

DBhomebrew

Reaction score
If you have a refractometer and hydrometer, you can compare the current (FG) readings to reach the OG.

CKuhns

Everything learned in Kindergarten still applies!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You can estimate ABV. But yiu must know the stsrting and ending gravity.

As mentioned above by @Dan O 1 pound of honey to make a total gallon gives you between 0.032 and 0.038 gravity points. A 0.035 is a good rule of thumb. Thus 4 pounds of honey should give you roughly 1.140.

The calculator is this Starting Gravity minus Ending Gravity times 131.25. This is not linear nor exact but should get you within a couple tenths plus or minus actual.

OP
OP
R

RichardNDL

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well... I don't have good things to say about my palate. Measured the sg (actually, I think in terms of brix) and there's a current brix of 24. So, I'm drinking basically diluted honey with about 3% abv. This was my first gallon ever. I even used raisins as a nutrient.... I know better now.