My first lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulleitb

Reaction score
So Ive brewed a couple ales now and they all turned out great and I have now ventured into lager territory. I made a 2000ml starter and let it sit for 24 hours and it looked like it worked fine (I had a bunch of white yeast cells sitting at the bottom of the starter). I had the starter going at about 51 degrees and added it to the wort at about 65 degrees and then put the fermenter in the fridge at about 51 degrees again. It is now 24 hours later and absolutely nothing has started. Im not freaking out yet but is there anything I can do to make sure that I havent messed it up? Can I shake the fermenter to try to stimulate the yeast again?

Even with a starter, sometimes it takes a while to get going. Don't worry yet. The yeast doesn't like temperature changes, so let it acclimate and start to work before you worry.

I usually cool my wort to 50 degrees, and pitch a HUGE amount of 47-48 degree yeast into it. That seems to work well. Anyway, just wait it out for a few days and see how it goes.

I wouldn't. Remember, lager yeast is bottom fermenting, so it might be fermenting all along and you just don't see it. I'd give it a few days and if in doubt, then check the sg.

Back