My first Lager; gotta love yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reim0027

Reaction score
So, I have done only a handful of all grain ales. None of them have done perfectly. Each time, there was some other problem. I decide to do a light lager (my dad wanted a Corona clone for the summer).

Let's see, what went wrong this time? I missed my mash temperature by 5 degrees (added boiling water calculated by Beersmith) to compensate. Over shot my preboil volume (kept at a rigorous boil to help speed evaporation). And, undershot my preboil gravity.

But, my fermentation is going well (made a large starter, which helps). At least I think so. I dropped points as expected, did a diacetyl rest for 48 hours, and I dropped a couple more points and reached my target gravity today (12 days into fermentation). The beer is light and crystal clear. Tastes pretty damn good. If the SG is stable for the next 2 days, it is lagering time.

tl;dr - No matter how much I screw up, the yeast have always had my back. :rockin:

Awesome! And if your sample "tastes pretty damn good" now with a lager, you are pretty much into smooth sailing I imagine. Got my 3rd lager in a d-rest now (even though the last sample before the rest didn't seem to have any diacytl - better safe than sorry). Its a Vienna Lager Negra Modelo clone-sorta. Can't wait to lager that sucker for a few weeks then tap it into oblivion!

Yeah, I just put mine into the lagering phase. I am going to keep it there until the firsst day of summer. Can't wait. :rockin:

Back