My First Lager...Advice Needed!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GolgiApparatus

Reaction score
Next weekend, I would like to brew up an extract version of SA Winter Lager. So far, I have found this ingredients list and it looks promising.

5 Gallons
OG - 1.069
FG - 1.016
IBU - 29
SRM - 19
ABV - 6.9%

2.75 lbs. light dried malt extract
4.0 lbs. Light liquid malt extract (late addition)
1.0 lb. wheat malt
1.5 lbs. munich malt
1.5 lbs. crystal malt 60L
1.0 oz. Curacao Orange Peel (bitter orange peel)
0.5 oz. ginger root (freshly grated)
0.5 tsp. Cinnamon (powdered)
9.5 AAU East Kent Golding hops (60 mni)
4AAU Tettnanger hops (2 min)
4AAU Hallertau Hersbrucker hops
White Labs WLP830 (German Lager)

I'll calculate out the hops at my LHBS when I see what they have on hand.

My question is what instructions should I follow? When do you add spices...secondary, boil? Etc...

This will be my first lager, but I have made some pretty good ales so far (about 20-25 batches). Any lagering advice would be awesome. I do have a spare fridge and a chilly basement. :rockin:

Any lagering advice would be awesome.

don't follow a set calendar schedule. "listen" to what the yeast tell you! When the SG drops to a few points above your target final gravity, warm it up and let it finish for 2 or 3 days. Then SLOWLY (1 to 2 degrees per day) lower it to lagering temp. It WILL take at least a month to lager. most of my lagers have taken about 2 1/2 months to get to where they taste REALLY good, so be REALLY patient or you'll be disappointed with the results.

Also, follow the temps set by the producer of your yeast instead of general lager suggestions.

Make a HUGE starter... at least a gallon. If you haven't already made it, get crackin'!

Make sure the LME is fresh.

A 60 minute boil should be fine since there is no pilsner malt involved.

I've got nothing for you on spices... haven't ever used any.

Pitch the yeast cold and let the beer warm up to primary temps (~50dF) or, pitch as close as possible to primary temps.

Primary fermentation should take about 2 to 3 weeks due to the relatively high gravity. If you do a diacetyl rest (recommended), just let it warm up to about 60-65dF for a few days near the end of primary (about 3/4 to 5/6 done).

Bring it down to lagering temps slowly (5dF per day) before racking to secondary, then rack. Let it lager at ~34dF for about 2-2.5 months (due to the relatively high OG).

If bottling, add yeast to bottling bucket due to the long lager time. (Dry lager yeast is fine... about 1/4 to 1/2 pack per 5 gallons).

Back