My first Kombucha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A_McG

Reaction score
I tried kombucha for the first time last week, starting brewing the same day. Got the scoby and starter from a friend, doing small batch (1 quart) for awhile. Starting with just a few ounces a day. Here's a pic

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20180601_181801.jpg
    IMG_20180601_181801.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 85
You will probably want to use a container with a wider mouth. It's going to be hard to remove the scoby from that container once it fully forms.

You will probably want to use a container with a wider mouth. It's going to be hard to remove the scoby from that container once it fully forms.

I am fermenting in a wide wouth quart jar, the kombucha pictured is finished and in the fridge, it's just a cool bottle I saved from some Tennessee "moonshine". (Doc Collier moonshine is awesome btw)

I do plan on going up to a full gallon eventually. I was told to take it slowly at first.

I'm sort of taking the opposite tact. I started my first SCOBY about 25 days ago, I pitched the mother I got off amazon into a larger (about 2 gal) wide mouth container. Then once the new SCOBY layer formed about 2 days ago I took out the baby with 2 cups of the liquid and pitched into a mason jar with sweet tea. This way I have my mother SCOBY in a stable environment and I can experiment with the baby and use that as the drinking kombucha.

But I did this because I don't want to order another SCOBY, if I had a friend with some I'd be more likely to dive right in with my mother SCOBY.

Back