my first "kitless" all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangebrewer

Reaction score
OK, I found a all grain recipe I'd like to make and was wondering how to go about this.

english style old ale

16 lbs 2 row pale malt
7 oz biscuit malt
7 oz crystal malt 30
6 oz aromatic malt
2 oz chocolate malt
2 oz black malt

2 oz challenger hops (15 mins)
.25 oz fuggle (60 mins)
.5 east kent goldings (at flameout)

wlp 007 yeast

My question is this, when ordering the grains online, it seems like I have to order 1 lb of every grain and that raises the bill considerably. I need them to crush them so it seems like quite a waste of grain. Do I just store the grains seperately and hope I use them one day or can I order in smaller quantity's?

This sounds like a great beer and I want to try it.

Will they ship the grains in seperate bags? or mixed together? If they will ship seperated just weigh them when they come. You can always save them for another day. You can store grain for awhile.

phewey said:
My question is this, when ordering the grains online, it seems like I have to order 1 lb of every grain and that raises the bill considerably.
Not all places require a full pound. My lhbs has a website and they sell most specialty grains by the ounce as well as the pound.

http://homebrewheaven.com sell grains by the ounce, but when you factor in separate shipping, it may be more expensive than buying pounds.

I could let you have the chocolate, and black patent, and I have about 5 oz Belgium Biscuit, but I don't have crystal 30 or aromatic.

If you want them, PM me with an address, I'll mail them to you, and you can refund me the postage.

-a.

buckeyebrewer said:
Will they ship the grains in seperate bags? or mixed together? If they will ship seperated just weigh them when they come. You can always save them for another day. You can store grain for awhile.

Good question, I never thought of them just mixing everything together. that'd be bad..
Thank you ajf, I'll gove mt LHBS a shop tommorrow and see what they can provide me with and then I'll let you know if I want thoes malts or not.

Latest posts

Back