My first keezer build; questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryue

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey ya'll,
So I'm getting ready to start my first build (I have yet to buy anything) and planning how I want my set up.
I'm going with a tower, I am curious if you guys think I can fit three 5 gallon kegs plus the Co2 tank in a 5cu. Ft. freezer? Looking through other photo's posted on here, it looked like there is some extra room with just two kegs, but I'm not positive.

Any advice is appreciated!

Bonus! I saw a lady selling a hot tub on FB today, in the background was a keg..
I asked about it and am now getting the keg, a CO2 tank and a Brewers Edge Mash & Boil for MF'n Free!
Hell hath no fury like a woman scored.. 😅🤣🤣
received_163098082430220.jpeg

nah. mine is 7cu ft and barely fits 3 corny kegs i could fit a 4th small one in the upper shelf though. i would go bigger they're around 200 or so at homedepot. do not buy online. I tried buying online when I was getting a fermentation freezer and 3 times they all came damaged. just go to the store

Dude! Score! :rock:

Advantage of a dual body regulator vs a single with splitter or manifold: two independently controllable pressures vs one. One could carbonate and dispense a typical pale with one and put an effervescent wheat or saison or the like on the other.

As for the keezer, bottom line, you have to work out the geometry - and particularly the interior height. Don't forget a ball lock QD plus a reasonable tubing bend above the top rubbers totals ~26.5" - my newest keezer could not accommodate QDs under the oem lid. Also, allow 9" for the keg diameter to avoid virtually "press fitting" kegs together :)

Cheers!

I use a one way reg and then have distribution using T pieces and inline duotight regulator for further adjustment. Double reg will take up more space in your freezer I suppose. You'll get plenty of advice I 'm sure.

Might get to share the hot tub as well!!
Nah, I have an ol lady, and as we previously discussed, hell hath no fury...😬😂😂
nah. mine is 7cu ft and barely fits 3 corny kegs i could fit a 4th small one in the upper shelf though. i would go bigger they're around 200 or so at homedepot. do not buy online. I tried buying online when I was getting a fermentation freezer and 3 times they all came damaged. just go to the store
That's kind of what I expected. I don't really need that many, just thought I would set it up for 3 if possible.
Advantage of a dual body regulator vs a single with splitter or manifold: two independently controllable pressures vs one. One could carbonate and dispense a typical pale with one and put an effervescent wheat or saison or the like on the other.
I use a one way reg and then have distribution using T pieces and inline duotight regulator for further adjustment. Double reg will take up more space in your freezer I suppose. You'll get plenty of advice I 'm sure.
Well I just realized that there is a single regulator in that picture she sent me (I haven't picked it up yet) so I'll probably just opt for the manifold. $20 vs $90+, I can always upgrade later if need be 🤷‍♂️

A secondary regulator like this one could be a good option if you want to different pressures. You can also get the same pressure from both ports and just use it as a manifold.

If you don't need a shiny new freezer....try looking for an older freezer. they were a bit deeper (front to back) and could hold kegs WITHOUT staggering.

If you see an old freezer on FB or CL and the compressor hump is just a rounded corner hump....GO GET IT...it's highly likely its an older "non-import" (Chinese, etc) freezer. I have a 5cf that hold 3 kegs and a 7cf that holds 6 kegs. You ain't gonna find that in a new freezer.

If you don't need a shiny new freezer....try looking for an older freezer. they were a bit deeper (front to back) and could hold kegs WITHOUT staggering.

If you see an old freezer on FB or CL and the compressor hump is just a rounded corner hump....GO GET IT...it's highly likely its an older "non-import" (Chinese, etc) freezer. I have a 5cf that hold 3 kegs and a 7cf that holds 6 kegs. You ain't gonna find that in a new freezer.
That was my plan originally, but at least in my area (WA) everyone is asking dang near retail price for old beat up ones and they are few and far between.
Finally just said screw it, might as well get a brand new one if it's only gonna be $40 more 🤷‍♂️

yeah...I just missed out on a $25 freezer on FB. Older 5cf unit that would swallow 3 kegs. I didn't need it but wasn't gonna pass it up either.

So I made a major score today! Found a guy selling all of his HB/keg equipment for $300! All that on top of the free stuff I got from that other chick made for quite the haul!
And then immediately after unloading it all into my garage, I went and picked up a chest freezer for $100. About read to build this keezer! 👌🍻

20210523_181559.jpg
20210523_190845.jpg
20210523_191533.jpg
20210523_191540.jpg
20210523_194625.jpg
20210523_194630.jpg
Screenshot_20210523-220415_Samsung Notes.jpg

well someone has to hit the lottery...

It just ain't ever me...
Well, don't be disappointed just yet...
As per usual, as soon as you decide to start a project, something goes wrong...
3.5 hours into replacing the front wheel bearings on my Tahoe... 🤬
B**ch was wobblin and squealin and grindin and smokin 🙄😅

Progress report!
I have collected all the parts I need, just have to finish spraying various pieces, mount everything and run some wires 👌🍻
Interior pictures are coming once it's all set up properly
20210523_194630.jpg
20210527_200603.jpg
20210531_170537.jpg
20210531_185059.jpg
20210531_185705.jpg
20210531_185813.jpg
20210531_190133.jpg
20210531_190141.jpg

I'm worried that you have a bar and nothing to drink. Looking smart though. You need a ferment fridge as well!! So keep those bargain eyes peeled. Have you got a temperature controller for the keezer?

I'm worried that you have a bar and nothing to drink. Looking smart though. You need a ferment fridge as well!! So keep those bargain eyes peeled. Have you got a temperature controller for the keezer?

I am in a middle of building a ferment chamber as well! Snagged up a second freezer, just big enough to fit 3 carboys in.
Yeah, I bought two inkbird controllers, one for the keezer and one for the ferment chamber.
Once everything is finished, booze will be on the way 🤣

Looks nice, will probably make something similair in the coming year when we have got our bigger house out on the country- side.
Keep in mind though that controlling fermentation temps in three different vessels in the same chamber can be a challenge, as different worts and different yeasts behave in different ways in regards to heat generated during fermentation, preffered temps etc.

Looks nice, will probably make something similair in the coming year when we have got our bigger house out on the country- side.
Keep in mind though that controlling fermentation temps in three different vessels in the same chamber can be a challenge, as different worts and different yeasts behave in different ways in regards to heat generated during fermentation, preffered temps etc.
Thanks 🤘
I normally am making larger batches of the same recipe, my main goal was to be able to do 10-15g batches with some room to spare

Update!:
So the bad news.. the keezer I showed you guys got taken to the dump... I busted a cooling line... 🙄🔫
The good news? I found a slightly bigger freezer that fits FOUR kegs, and it is officially done! Well, aside from needing to make some booze to put in it! 🍻
A little bit of sanding to round out the corners of the collar, the stencil I made myself, with the help of my brother and his sheet metal bender we fabricated the brackets for the drip tray.
20210603_170934.jpg
20210609_120742.jpg
20210609_172816.jpg
20210609_172837.jpg
20210610_055931.jpg
20210613_220031.jpg
20210614_082026.jpg
20210616_111348_01.jpg
20210616_111418_01.jpg
20210616_115000_01.jpg

That looks good forgot to ask, did you spray the freezer as well? What paint did you use for the job? Is it a metallic paint for the taps and driptrays or hammerite?

That looks good forgot to ask, did you spray the freezer as well? What paint did you use for the job? Is it a metallic paint for the taps and driptrays or hammerite?
Thanks! Definitely took a lot longer than expected, but having to start over didn't help lol.
Yes, I painted dang near everything, the freezer itself I sanded to help the paint bond and just used some "appliance" spray paint from home depot. The person I bought it from had put a thick coat of that chalkboard paint, but it was half-a**ed and rough.
The copper and chrome were just regulator ol spray paint.
The copper is the hammered spray, I was planning on metallic but no one around me had it in stock 🙄 but it turned out pretty well, just have to do it in a ton of light coats or else it will run like crazy

Maybe I am not seeing the internal hoses well, but your beer lines look really short. Have you done any beer line length calculations?

Okay, well I had figured my hoses might be kind of short, but that calculator is saying 43 feet of hose??? I call BS... unless I'm not understanding something

The thing is flow increases 16x if you double the pipe radius, so an 8mm internal pipe lets 16x as much flow as a 4mm pipe. Hence those numbers do jump up fast.
Not BS I promise.

Well, physics will not be denied, and Mike's calculator is literally the only one worth using.
So what is the ID of those rather fat looking beer lines?

fwiw, when I was still using 3/16" ID solid PVC beer lines (Bevlex 200) I used 11 feet of line per faucet including the foot of line to connect a flow meter, and my chart pressure - used for dispensing - was 11 psi indicated. Indeed the rule of thumb with 3/16" ID line is one foot per psi of CO2 pressure.

18 months ago I switched everything to EVABarrier tubing, using the 4mm ID line for beer, and now only have 6.5 feet of line per faucet.
Physics at work...

Cheers!

Dispensing physics is something I take personally.
There's nothing sadder than turning out a wonderful brew only to end up struggling to dispense it properly.
That should be the time to kick back, enjoy, and slip the brain into neutral :)

Cheers!

Okay, well then I have a problem... If I dropped down to 3/16 it calls for a little over 5' of hose, but the shanks I bought are ¼", so 3/16 won't fit on there... and I am not replacing them after I already painted them so they can't be returned 😅

All is not lost, Pretty sure you can get an adapter for the tubing for conversion so you could leave stubs of quarter inch on the shanks. The 4mm EVA barrier tubing is really good, much less oxygen ingress, very smooth as well. Works a treat in my keg fridge.

Okay, well then I have a problem... If I dropped down to 3/16 it calls for a little over 5' of hose[...]

What math are you using - because "a little over 5' of hose" sounds suspiciously like the widely discredited "2 - 3 psi per foot" thing that doesn't actually work.
Again...the only line length calculator worth using.

Also, it is quite common to push 3/16" ID tubing over 1/4" barbs (I literally just gave away 30-40 1/4" barb/swivel nut assemblies that were used with 3/16" ID tubing)...

Cheers!

Are you basing the CO2 pressure on "chart pressure" or something else?
The only practical way I get 5.7 feet out of Mike's calculator is if I use a 7 psi CO2 pressure - which is way too low to maintain carbonation levels...

Cheers!

@Ryue
For example american amber ale at 6 celsius needs 11.46 psi according to the calc I use

https://drhansbrewery.com/beercarbonationcalculator/
Gravity will be about 1.009

1.5 foot or one foot doesn't make much difference to the calc

But I can only get your length with a very quick pour and that won't work you'll still get loads of foam with that.
keg line.JPG

The calculator is accurate. But my guesses as to how quick you need your beer are just guesses. I'm happy to be a few seconds slower and not wait for foam to fall.

Last edited:
While I'm sure I'll end up putting beer in it eventually, im mainly planning on putting my mead in it, hence why I changed the gravity.

I had read somewhere that 2oz/sec was "perfect in most circumstances" which seemed reasonable since with lower carbonation, a slightly quicker pour should be fine, right?

@Ryue

I'm not sure how fizzy mead is ( for sparkling obviously ), is it like real ale at about 1.5 max vols or more like champagne?
ALso no idea of the serving temp for it?

Back