My first GF beer - pumpkin ale - slight sour taste!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebeer

Reaction score
Hello-

I have been brewing (non 'gluten free') for ~ 3 years and one of my favorite beers is my imperial pumpkin ale. I decided to try this with a GF beer and below is my recipe list for this 3 gallon extract brew. The recipe for my normal all grain mash is similarly spiced and hopped.

60 oz. Pumpkin Puree (boiled for 60 mins with the beer)
6.6 lbs. Sorghum extract (for 60 mins)
0.75 lbs Belgian candy syrup (for 60 mins)
---
1 oz. 6.87%AA Perle (for 60 mins)
0.5 oz. 10.3%AA Perle (for 15 mins)
---
The following spices were added at the last 5 min of the boil
0.5 oz. crushed cloves
0.5 oz. finely chopped candied ginger
0.5 oz. powdered nutmeg
0.25 oz. crushed whole allspice
0.25 oz. cinnamon
---
Danstar Nottingham yeast

1.056 OG on 12/17/11
1.012 FG on 01/19/12

The beer smells fine but has a bit of a sour taste but certainly not like a lambic or funky Belgian... and has a bit of yeasty taste to it, but finishes off just fine. There is also a bit of hot alcohol/liquor taste to it. I have never brewed with sorghum before, is it common for these flavors to drop out after time? I planned on cold crashing it, and adding some gelatin in a week or two if it doesn't begin to clarify.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!

GF_Pumpkin.jpg

I think the sour note your referring to is pretty common for Sorghum beers such as this. My thought to help prevent this would be to steep some roasted quinoa or something in your brewing water first to help balance out the final flavor...

Thank you for the reply. Is there anything I can do, after the fact? Should I try gelatin?

After the fact, I think your best option would be to wait a couple of months. The twang/ sourness should mellow out

Back