My first double header today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
India vs. Ireland

First off amarillo IPA,
9# 2-row
1# 120L
0.5# Carapils
1Tablespoon chocolate malt
1 oz Chinook
4 oz Amarillo (1 in secondary)

Next up, my first shot at a red.
9# 2-row
1# Munich
0.5 # Carapils
0.25# roasted malt 350L
0.25# 60L
0.25# 120L
1 oz cascade
2 oz pearle

I was going to use fuggles for the red, but the HBs was out. I have not used pearle as an aroma/ later addition hop, but it is leaf, so we will see.

Any thoughts?

BTW fantastic day in NC. Highs of about 70, chrystal clear day, light breeze.

Second mash is in.

I got 7 gal at 1.046 @60F on the Ipa, should boil down good.

If you get the chance to get outside professor, I highly recomend it. Stellar day..

70F and brewing 2 batches? Oh man I can't friggin wait for it to warm up now.

Enjoy!

First wort hopping with an ounce of Cascade, in the red.

1.058 Og on the IPA lower than anticipated, no big deal.

PseudoChef said:
I suppose it's too late now, but 1 lb of 120 is a LOT.
I've used that grain bill before and been very happy with it. Never with amarillo, but with cascade. Rich full flavored IPA.

Ever used Pearle hops? I opened the pack, and subtle spice aroma. I am intrigued. might be a nice red?

Go for it!

Double header brew days! I did one of those this past December..........and I need to do one again soon.........I sometimes wish every day could be a double header brew day.

Red wound up with a OG of 1.060
Nice color, amber I would say, but not 'red'.
Melanoidin I guess is the key to red. but it is so strong flavored, bloody or muddy.

Any thoughts on the pearle?

I think I need a bigger pot!!

too full pot.JPG

You definitely need a bigger pot, my man.

Check it. Werd.

Good luck with the double-header, Sean. I'm a big fan of double-headers---if I'm gonna go through the trouble of taking the time out of my day and getting out all the equipment, I might as well make it count.

A couple weeks ago, I did 3 in a day. Whew!

hey Evan,
three in a day!! Too much work for me I think, two was nice. not too rushed, took my time, about 7 hours, but I still have a bit of clean up and put away.

What a great way to spend a day off.. Last one for some time I am thinking. So bottleing may not be til May. Should be nice and clear by then, and I think I owe you a few, from a year ago swap.

Ever worked with pearle hops?

BTW that avatar is awful,:ban: and thanks for the link, there is a local restaurant supply shop in southern Pines, I'll bring the clip in and see if he'll beat the price. But I do need a bigger pot.

Back