My first couple brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
First time posting pics, so i'm not sure of the rules if there are any, so bare with me.

Some pics of my first couple brews. My Sierra Nevada PA clone and my American style IPA.

My g/f bought my the kit for my bday, and its just been a great time since then.

My starter:

Lil baby 2.5gal with grains steeping:

Right after hops were added:

StarSan eruption:

Time for the IPA:

I got lucky on this one.. I wanted to try a 4gal boil in my 5gal pot. After adding the LME things got pretty tight...lol I was hoping for almost no hot-break like I experienced with the SNPA, and i got lucky.. no boil and very little hot break

My SNPA after sitting for 2 weeks

And my IPA and SNPA side by side. This is before bottling my SNPA

First time bottling

The SWMBO took this pic.. she calls it a Bottle Flower

And thanks to talleymonster, a local HBT-er i was able to score some extra goodies to further my new obsession

Good job.

If you plan on pushing the capacity of your pot, get a spray bottle and fill it full of cold water, and open the nozzel to the widest setting. If it looks like you're heading to a boilover, just spray it...It goes right down.

I did the same thing as you in my 5 gallon pot...After I added all the dme to the pm water, I was pushing 4+ gallons in the pot, and not a lot of headroom to spare. I watched it like a hawk and sparayed it a couple times.

There's also a product you can add to the boil to prevent boilovers, I think it's caled fermcap, or something...People swear by it.

Revvy said:
Good job.

If you plan on pushing the capacity of your pot, get a spray bottle and fill it full of cold water, and open the nozzel to the widest setting. If it looks like you're heading to a boilover, just spray it...It goes right down.

I did the same thing as you in my 5 gallon pot...After I added all the dme to the pm water, I was pushing 4+ gallons in the pot, and not a lot of headroom to spare. I watched it like a hawk and sparayed it a couple times.

There's also a product you can add to the boil to prevent boilovers, I think it's caled fermcap, or something...People swear by it.

I had the spray bottle handy right next to the pot. I was sweating bullets after hearing all the horror stories of boil overs..lol

I'll have to look into Fermcap.. i've heard of that referenced before regarding keeping boilovers down.

Thanks

freyguy said:
Dang, for only a few batches, you really have some nifty gadgets!!!! :D

Very good pictures, thanks for posting.

thanks

this site is bad for the wallet. well, the new obsession doesn't help either..lol

Revvy said:

It's called Fermcap-S and I love it! Not one boilover since using it, here's a link (no affiliation to northernbrewer, just a link):

http://tinyurl.com/yppl5q

:mug:

Nice pictures. That is a very nice setup for only having a few brews under your belt!

One small piece of advice, it isn't necessary to use an air lock on a starter. A sanitized piece of aluminum foil or foam stop work best. These will allow some oxygen into the starter which is actually good for the growing of the little yeasties.

Welcome to the addiction. I hope you brought your check book :)

wedge421 said:
How did the beers turn out?" Any idea yet?

I popped open one of my SNPA clones this last weekend. Only been in bottles for 2 weeks, but a side by side test proved to be pretty comparible in taste. My IPA I bottled last weekend so I havent had a chance to taste/test that one yet. Overally, i'm happy with the results this far though.

Back