Quantcast

My first competition...

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
To my surprise was a success, I dropped off some beers for the 2008 Great Northern Brew Ha Ha and won a 1st place for my Red Headed Step Child (Irish Red Ale) and a 2nd place for a Honey Light Lager, also got a DVD and gift certificate.
Now I want to go home and see if they taste better now :D

OP
SuperiorBrew

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
I actually entered them to get some constructive criticism. Actualy winning something was a bonus. Now if I could only read the all the different judges writing I would have what I need. They must be like doctors writing wise :drunk:

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
SuperiorBrew said:
... Now if I could only read the all the different judges writing I would have what I need. They must be like doctors writing wise...
Or they were pretty druck by the time they got to your flight! Congrats, man! I'm jealous.

clayof2day

Reaction score
Congrats. I've been intersted to see what James is doing for "low-tech lagering". Sounds like it might just be a "son of a fermentation chiller" type device. After you watch that DVD it may be nice to post a review. I don't want you to give away all the "secrets" as then he might not sell too many more, but if it is just a "son of a fermentation chiller" I'm not going to shell out cash for that DVD. Any thoughts on posting a review?

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
I'd enter if I ever bottled anything. Too bad I just cant take a keg with me.

Grats on your medals dude!

OP
SuperiorBrew

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, it's kind of funny but when BMC drinkers come over I usually start them with a Honey Lite Lager, then have them try the Irish Red, I think mainly because they are the easiest drinking. In the back of my mind I thought if I got any mention there it would probably be for one of those or maybe my fat tire clone, and that one didn't score very well at all.

mr x said:
Maybe there should be a section in the recipes forum for award winners.
The recipe I used for the red is listed in my recipes.

clayof2day said:
Congrats. I've been intersted to see what James is doing for "low-tech lagering". Sounds like it might just be a "son of a fermentation chiller" type device. After you watch that DVD it may be nice to post a review. I don't want you to give away all the "secrets" as then he might not sell too many more, but if it is just a "son of a fermentation chiller" I'm not going to shell out cash for that DVD. Any thoughts on posting a review?
I will let you know later this week.

Chimone said:
I'd enter if I ever bottled anything. Too bad I just cant take a keg with me.

Grats on your medals dude!
I bottled all of them from my kegs on the same day, I love my beer gun.

Bulls Beers

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats!! Way to go...I entered a competition in December..No word yet..There were 19500 entraints..I probably won't hear anything..I thought it was a pretty good batch......

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Congratulations! That is great news. I think it would be great to get some affirmation that your beers are really great. I have friends who tell me they love my beer- of course, that might be because it's free for them!

jacobyhale

Reaction score
Congrats man, that's really cool. I'm scared for the day that I enter a beer competition. I already love brewing, but add that competitive side to it and it's all over. Might as well sign the divorce papers now :D

OP
SuperiorBrew

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
Anyone have a site where I can find local competitions?
BJCP has a bunch listed.
I found the one I entered in Zymurgy

OP
SuperiorBrew

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
clayof2day said:
He used a 10g round cooler for the fermentation bucket & later the lagering carboy, it was fitted with a 20ft immersion chiller and 3 gallons of water.
In antoher cooler he used a small pond pump and a johnson controller to circulate the chilled water as needed. At lagering temps he changed 3 milk jugs of ice daily.

Rick_R

Still Love Fried Chicken
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Contrats on the awards! Like BuffaloSabresBrewer, I won't be entering any competitions anytime soon, but expect eventually to do so, as you said, to get the feedback.

Rick