My first cider...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesonsDad

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

First time cider maker here with a quick question.

For my first ever batch, to keep it simple and get a feel for the process, I used a store bought apple juice) method.

To a gallon of juice (no preservatives) I added 1 1/2 cups white sugar and one package of EC-1118.

I made this batch on March 31st with the plan that it would ferment for a month, then I would rack it and try to let it age for a month with the full expectation that I wouldn't be able to wait that long to try it

Here is my question:

13 days in, the cider has clarified and there appears to be very little fermentation going on. The bubbler didn't bubble anymore, and there is only a tiny abount of CO2 bubbles that can be seen rising up the bottle.

Is it done? Ready to rack?

Thanks for any input!
20180413_201818.jpg

Yes, I think you could rack it at this point. I personally would wait another two weeks.
Btw 1.5 cups of sugar seems like a lot for a 1 gallon batch. Might take a while to mellow out

Champagne yeasts ferment out dry (near or below 1.000). You need to take a gravity reading to see if it's ready to rack.

If it is, then it's all good. Rack away, just don't try to rouse the yeast off the bottom.

Why waste the yeast...add another bottle of AJ to the jug for the next batch.

Almost every cider I’ve made with all kinds of comm. yeasts has finished in 10-14 days at 55-65 deg. F. Some even sooner.

No original sg. I got too excited to start the first batch before I had a hydrometer.

But I have one now, I will test it and report back

OK. Just a thought. In reality your readings only matter if your curious about the alcohol percentage AND if you're going to bottle. You don't want to bottle if the fermentation is not complete because over pressure in a sealed bottle will make them explode.

Here's a thought, since they are only 1 gal batches then you can rack to a second jug and just drink (pour) from it as long as you don't cap it. A rubber bung will work for this purpose.

Back