My first brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers! I started my first batch of HB Saturday after lurking on the forums for a couple of months. My LHBS built the Brewers Best Witbier kit (they forgot the coriander and orange peel). I ended up using zest from tangerines (10 min) picked a couple of days ago along with a bottle of honey with 5 min left in the boil. Figure being the first brew this was more of a brew to get the concepts down. My OG was 1.034 and after speaking with a fellow local brewer I added a cup and a half of table sugar to bring it up to 1.050. It's supposed to top out at 1.049 I believe. I didn't fully cover the muslin bag and ended up using 2 gallons of spring water instead of the 1 gallon on the brewers best instructions. Wonder if that's the reason for the low OG? Anywho just wanted to say thanks to those on this forum that helps those like me brave through this venture!

I do have a question though. Would it be ok to use a strainer? Meaning pour the wort through a strainer so you help keep the trub out of the fermenter?

Yes, that's what I did when I first started brewing. Then I realized it wasn't worth the hassle of clogging it with all the hops I use. It does help to aerate the wort though. Personal preference.

I do have a question though. Would it be ok to use a strainer? Meaning pour the wort through a strainer so you help keep the trub out of the fermenter?

A good idea to improve clarity and keep unwanted greebles out of your fermenter. Of course, you'll have all kinds of gunk in there after 2 weeks and you DO NOT want to filter it on the way to the bottling bucket because of the oxygen it creates.

Also, the strainer addition adds a little more trouble when it comes to spilling etc. If done correctly and cleanly, go for it. Don't forget to sanitize everything your wort touches from strainer to fermenter to bottle caps to scissors for yeast to...well, you get it.

Sounds like you are well on the way! Welcome to the asylum! We don't bite - well, not hard - most of the time...LOL...

I wouldn't strain the beer. It could be a messy hassle.
Learn to love the trub. Just siphon it off the trub to the secondary a few days after the fermentation stops.

Hello fellow brewers! I started my first batch of HB Saturday after lurking on the forums for a couple of months. My LHBS built the Brewers Best Witbier kit (they forgot the coriander and orange peel). I ended up using zest from tangerines (10 min) picked a couple of days ago along with a bottle of honey with 5 min left in the boil. Figure being the first brew this was more of a brew to get the concepts down. My OG was 1.034 and after speaking with a fellow local brewer I added a cup and a half of table sugar to bring it up to 1.050. It's supposed to top out at 1.049 I believe. I didn't fully cover the muslin bag and ended up using 2 gallons of spring water instead of the 1 gallon on the brewers best instructions. Wonder if that's the reason for the low OG? Anywho just wanted to say thanks to those on this forum that helps those like me brave through this venture!

Congrats on the FIRST beer of MANY you'll make!

Many opinions here, but I personally do not like all the hops and protein break material to go into my fermenter bucket. Sounds like you agree. If you'll go to a Home Depot or Lowes, in their paint section you can find 5 gallon fine mesh paint strainers with an elastic band to stretch over your bucket's opening. Transfer or pour wort through the strainer, then remove carefully and slowly to contain the trub to discard. Rinse out and reuse...being SURE to thoroughly spray the strainer with a sanitizer religiously each time. The mesh would be an ideal place for nasties to hide.

Cheers:mug:

welcome to the obsession.

Seriously. My friend and I had an hour and a half debate about where we want to go next with our equipment setup...

This "hobby" should come with a disclaimer: "Warning, brewing will quickly become an obsession. You will think about it 24/7, yes even in your sleep. Your wife will question the money/time you spend on beer so brew a batch just for her every now and then!" Brewing for one year now...what did I get myself into!? Loving every minute of it!!! Cheers!

This "hobby" should come with a disclaimer: "Warning, brewing will quickly become an obsession. You will think about it 24/7, yes even in your sleep. Your wife will question the money/time you spend on beer so brew a batch just for her every now and then!" Brewing for one year now...what did I get myself into!? Loving every minute of it!!! Cheers!

Pay attention. These are words to live by. Every couple of batches or so I ask my wife what she would like, and its fun to make a batch for her then enjoy the beer together.

Very wise words! I asked the wife to throw around some ideas for a ginger/peach beer and we found an extract recipe on this forum. It uses Repbulic of Tea ginger peach which she absolutely loves. She's even been putting out the word for used bottles so she's on board too! This forum has been a great learning tool for a noob like me! Thanks everyone!

Edit: It was bottling day today and I've got 51 bottles of tangerine wheat ale conditioning in a nice dark spot. Can't wait to try it!

Back