My First brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Reaction score
Howdy. I'm fermenting my first brew. I used Coopers Dark Ale kit and substituted a 3 pound can of dark LME for the sugar the recipe calls for. I am using the Ale Yeast that came with the kit.

It took about 18 hours for the fermentation process to begin. I'm using a three piece air lock on a 6 gallon carboy. I'm on the sixth day of fermentation. The first day I was getting about 4 bubbles a minute. It then got up to 15-20 bubbles per minute for 4 days. It slowed down to about 10 bubbles per minute as of this morning. The carboy has been kept at 69 degrees F throughout the fermentation process. When I get home from work I will calculate my bubbles again.

I plan on racking over to the secondary when I get down to about 1-2 bubbles per minute. This whole process has been fun. I have three different books so far from cover to cover. This website has, along with some others, have helped me understand what I read in the books. Thanks to all of you who post information in here. It helps guys like tremendously.

buckeyebrewer

Reaction score
Wait until the bubbling stops. If there are bubbles that means it's not completed the fermentation. I usually leave mine at least 10 days....no need to rush things. I know its hard to wait, especially on the first brew, but hang in there and be patient. Congrats on the first brew!!!!:rockin:

OP
Bob869007
Reaction score
buckeyebrewer said:
Wait until the bubbling stops. If there are bubbles that means it's not completed the fermentation. I usually leave mine at least 10 days....no need to rush things. I know its hard to wait, especially on the first brew, but hang in there and be patient. Congrats on the first brew!!!!:rockin:

Ok. LHBS told me to do it that way but I will take your advice and wait. This is not the first time that I have read this. Thanks again.

Pugilist

Reaction score
First rule of thumb to remember when primary fermenting is that bubbling or lack thereof in the airlock is NOT the best indicator for when it is done. Use a hydrometer and check your gravity for the best result.

Good luck on the first beer and ENJOY the process, dont stress! :mug:

rescue brew

Reaction score
I rushed my first brew through the process, 2-3 days in primary , 7-10 in secondary , 7 in bottle then started drinking them. Over the next few weeks I noticed the beer tasting better and better. (Now I know what bottle conditioning is for) .

Then I found this forum

The next batch I used the 1-2-3 method. AND I am so glad I did. Taste, aroma,texture... everything was better. I wish I would have been more patient for that first batch.

If you want to be really happy AND impress your drinkin buddy. WAIT ! don't rush it you will be drinking better beer.