My First Brew, Thanks for the help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
I hope this does not come off as a speech given at an awards ceremony, but I am thankful that I did not have to worry about all the details by myself. I also understand that I have an infinite amount to learn and discuss here at HBT
Thanks to everyone who helped me in the chat room and in my last few posts will answering questions.
My starter seemed to work great!
I have attached a few pics.
p1010472zm5.jpg

(7 hours) after chilling wort, this looks crazy, air bubbles mixing with yeast bubbles I think?

That looks great! Congrats on your first brew. Now comes the hardest part- waiting. I found that when I made my first batch that I couldn't stop walking by it and looking at it, like a proud parent!

The only cure to being inpatient, though, is starting the next batch!

(I fixed the link)

looks tasty.
+1 on the making more to keep your mind of this one. Might as well go to the LHBS and get another carboy and supplies and make some more. You know you are going to do it eventually.

Welp I wanted to give an update on my first brew "the dog" brown ale.

It has been 11 days and I racked to my secondary. I took a hydro reading and corrected to 60degF was 1.012. I drank my sample and was shocked that it tasted like flat warm new castle (my target I was trying to clone). I dont believe that it should it have tasted this good at this stage.

The recipe I am using expected 1.048 starting and 1.016 finish gravity
My SG was 1.046 so as of right now I think my ABV is 4.4%?
How much more will my FG drop?

It has cleared quite a bit when racking to secondary, how long should I plan on leaving it here before bottling?

I will post a pic in a few minutes of my progress.

YooperBrew said:
That looks great! Congrats on your first brew. Now comes the hardest part- waiting. I found that when I made my first batch that I couldn't stop walking by it and looking at it, like a proud parent!

The only cure to being inpatient, though, is starting the next batch!

(I fixed the link)

Lol. Thats what I was telling my swmbo! Right on!

Latest posts

Back