My first brew and fast fermentation question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loup

Reaction score
I cooked up my first batch of beer this last Sunday, it started bubbling like crazy after 6 hours (overflowed the airlock but didn't pop the cap off the carboy,) but slowed way down at the 8 hour mark. After 24 hours the airlock was down to maybe 4 bubbles per minutes, after 36 hours the airlock stopped bubbling all together (I did clean the cap and airlock and reinstalled them at some point.)

I didn't buy a hydrometer when I bought my supplies thinking it to be mostly optional and figured I could buy one later if I decided I enjoyed brewing my own beer so I didn't have a way to test gravity of the beer.

At first I was going to just let it sit for the rest of the 2 weeks, bottle it and hope it had finished fermenting, but then I started to get worried that for some reason I had a stuck fermentation and didn't want to risk adding sugar when bottling and have the yeast kick into overdrive causing my bottles to start exploding. Back to the homebrew store I ran, bought a hydrometer (and some yeast just in case I ended up needing it) and tested the beer. It's almost dead on where it should be for FG, I also tasted a little, it more or less tastes like beer which I take to be a good sign.

I've read that the wort will sometimes ferment really quickly, but is there a danger of it fermenting so quickly? Will it cause any off flavors in the finished beer? If so, is there anything I can do to keep it from starting so quickly? I used dry yeast, hydrated it before pitching and the wort was measuring 70-72 degrees the whole time it was fermenting.

Relax. I can't think of a single flavor problem caused by rapid fermentation, so you should be fine. No problem leaving it for two weeks or longer, for that matter.

What did you brew? Got the recipe handy?

Bob

It's Brewer's Best Red Ale recipe kit

3.3 lbs light LME
2 lbs light DME
12 oz crystal malt
1 oz black patent (grain)
1 oz willamette hops (bittering)
1 oz willamette hops (finishing)

OG should be 1042-1045
FG should be 1008-1010

no idea what my OG was, current gravity is 1011. I plan to leave it in the carboy for another week and a half or so.

3.3 lbs light LME
2 lbs light DME
12 oz crystal malt

OG should be 1042-1045
FG should be 1008-1010

no idea what my OG was, current gravity is 1011. I plan to leave it in the carboy for another week and a half or so.
If you know your current gravity then you must have a hydrometer now, a good move to buy one. If you want to be absolutely sure not to have exploding bottles just take a gravity reading everyday 3 days before you bottle, if the reading is the same (adjusted for temp) then bottle away. :mug:

I also cooked up my first batch this past Sunday...a true brew american wheat kit. My airlock bubbling started about 6 hours in....its nows been 48hours..and although I havent timed it...its reallly slowed down. I'll look at the thing for a minute straight and not see a single bubble. I plan on leaving it in the primary for 2 weeks and then start bottling. (assuming FG 2 weeks from now is on the money).

I have brewed enough beer now that I think that I need a hydrometer.. problem is, the local supply house (mainly wine) has a limited selection and besides, I just don't like doing business with them as they are clueless except for putting on wine tastings.. ... My choices are online brewing supply houses and the popular auction site.. I am still a beginner in most respects so what should I expect to pay for a decent hydrometer, and if possible what brands should I look for? Thanks

3.3 lbs light LME
2 lbs light DME
12 oz crystal malt

OG should be 1042-1045
FG should be 1008-1010

No worries about the OG. You just can't determine ABV specifically.

However, you still have at least a point to go, and maybe 2 points. Give it a week or two. I think if you're only one point off of your FG when you bottle (not saying you are, but just for example) then you won't have to worry *that* much about bottle bombs, as I believe the 3/4 of a cup of corn sugar will increase the SG more than your or two points worth of fermentation.

In other words, RDWHAHB

Under good conditions, *most* of your fermentation will happen in 2-4 days after it takes off. What you're describing is totally normal. Give it another week or two for the yeast to finish out and clean up after itself.

It also depends on the yeast. Some yeast can finish the majority of the fermentation in 48 hours. Check out Wyeast Ringwood Ale Yeast.

My basement normally stays between 65 and 70 all year round, it doesn't matter how hot or cold the rest of the house is, it could be 90 upstairs and still only be 70 downstairs, until today apparently. It's only 80 upstairs and yet somehow, the basement actually hit 76, and as a result, so has my beer. I'm trying to cool it down a bit with a wet towel, guess I'll see how it goes.

Bah!

Back