My First Bottling Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzal8

Reaction score
Well today my portland pale ale had been in the primary fermenter for 10 days, so as I have ingredients to start a new beer, and am anxious to try out my first, I decided to bottle (and sample :drunk: ). It was great, got myself a healthy buzz off of warm but tastey brew fresh from the fermentor. That's what it's all about right. :mug:

The color was very nice, golden brown. The sample seemed to be quite sweet, but i'm guessing that had something to do with adding the 3/4 cup of corn sugar. I am hoping that the sweetness will mellow out in 2 or 3 weeks. Does that sound right? Sweetness wise?

I also couldnt really taste my hops too much, but I think that is just because I only added 1oz magnum for bittering at 60, and 1oz cascade with 5 min left.

Well, now just have to find the patience to let this guy sit for at least 10 days, so I will have plenty of brew while I wait for my stout to finish in a month.

Just as a question, has anyone brewed the Portland Pale Ale kit from Homebrewer Outpost? I am just wondering about how their's tasted.

Thanks, for reading :)

you should always take the reading and taste the sample before adding the priming sugar, so yes...it will taste sweeter with the corn sugar.

it would also be good to take a hydrometer reading (before adding priming) to let you know where the beer is at. then you can just taste that sample.

that's not a huge amount of hops, but magnum has a huge alpha acid content so you should still taste some bitterness. never used it myself.

Oh ok thanks for the reply. Tasting and taking my hydrometer reading before adding that sugar would have been smart. Chalk that up to lesson learned haha. Alright well I feel a little better now.

no worries...i'm sure it will be a great beer, specially if you caught a buzz off the sample ;) and they'll just keep getting better

I've done dozens of batches and still learn something new every time.

Congrats, and let us know how it turns out in a few weeks!

10 days won't be enought to make it carbed well. Don't get me wrong....try one a week, but don't expect there to be the correct amount of bubbles until the 3-4 week. That is just about the time the taste will be mature as well.

It's interesting, I had the flying dog IPA tonight, and it tasted alot like the sample I tasted today.

Kayos said:
10 days won't be enought to make it carbed well. Don't get me wrong....try one a week, but don't expect there to be the correct amount of bubbles until the 3-4 week. That is just about the time the taste will be mature as well.

Right, well I figured that would be the case, and planned accordingly. I bottled a six pack of 12 ounce bottles, and 20 22oz bottles. This way in a week I could try one, and I won't be wasting a whole 22oz of brew. That way, after three weeks or so have gone by and they are just becoming ready, I will have been able to just sample the little bottles.

Does anyone on here have any experience with the Home Brewer's outpost kits?

Back