My first bottle bomb using the Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naeco

Reaction score
I just got my first bottle bomb while pasteurizing some cider that was far from a gusher bottle. This tells me that the bottle probably had some defect in it.

All I'm saying is when using Pappers Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing method, always assume all bottles could potentially explode in your face and kill you. This is NO joke, take all precautionary method and always avoid having a bottle exposed to your skin or eyes untill fully pasteurized and cooled to room temperature.

Please be careful and cheers,

naeco

Thanks for the advice. Im about to use this method for my sammys simple cider recipe this weekend.

I just got my first bottle bomb while pasteurizing some cider that was far from a gusher bottle. This tells me that the bottle probably had some defect in it.

All I'm saying is when using Pappers Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing method, always assume all bottles could potentially explode in your face and kill you. This is NO joke, take all precautionary method and always avoid having a bottle exposed to your skin or eyes untill fully pasteurized and cooled to room temperature.

naeco
Did you use 190 deg? I had two bottles explode then went to 160 deg for 20 minutes. None of those exploded.

FWIW.
:mug:

I know a lot of people have used this method, with good results, but, personally, I think anyone trying it is crazy.

I like mine dry, so the lower I can get my gravity, the better. It's not something I'm likely to try.

same here Calder,the minute I read the sticky I knew there will be thousands of bottle bombs in kitchens all around the world, have you nuts ever heard of campden?

yeah I think that thread is just pure sabotage, millions of accidents waiting to happen, my advice:DON'T TRY IT OR IT'LL BLOW UP IN YOU'RE FACE

same here Calder,the minute I read the sticky I knew there will be thousands of bottle bombs in kitchens all around the world, have you nuts ever heard of campden?

Despite your sarcasm, I don't know of a method using campden that will produce semi-dry, carbonated, bottle-conditioned cider. If you knock the yeast out to stop fermentation, how will you carbonate the cider in the bottle?

yeah I think that thread is just pure sabotage, millions of accidents waiting to happen, my advice:DON'T TRY IT OR IT'LL BLOW UP IN YOU'RE FACE

To be clear, I didn't ask for the pasteurization thread to be made a sticky and, in the thread, have urged people to show common sense and to be safe.

But your absolute assertion that "it will blow up in your face" goes too far. I've pasteurized more than 3 dozen batches, more than 800 bottles, without incident.

Naeco's point, though, that caution is called for is common sense and very good advice.

naeco

I was just wondering if anyone has ever been killed by a bottle bomb of cider? I do have some recipes that do seem to be over carbed. However, I have never lost a bottle. I have been looking at pasteurizing some instead of using cold crashing to halt the yeast.

My friends would laugh their asses off if they read in the paper I was killed by a bottle of my candyapple cyser blowing up on me.

But I'm more concerned about people I give bottles to take home or drink in other places I'd hate to hurt one of them. :mug::mug:

*j*

I also have had one out of 15 bottles shoot up like a rocket. However they were all reused bottles. Still plan on doing for my next batch. Really liked the carb style.

Pasteurization works great, but I think we need to think hard about why you really need to go above 160F....

190F is courting with danger - especially on well carbonated bottles..... When you are dealing with gas absorbed into a liquid and start getting close to boiling - small increases in temperature will make huge differences in pressure inside the bottles...... and the closer you get to the boiling temperature... the faster the pressure spikes from "Normal" to "Kaboom!".....

If your thermometer is a bit off, the water in your pot isn't mixing well, or the thermometer is very slow to read - you could easily hit boiling temperatures at the bottom of the pot and never know it.. until your bottles start popping.....

I would strongly caution anyone wanting to do this to have an insulator or standoff in the bottom of the pot to keep the bottles off of the direct heat, put a rag over the top of their pot, use a good lid, and maintain careful temperature control...

Thanks

Back