My first blow off...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tippin44s

Reaction score
image-1940118105.jpg

Is my beer going to be okay? This is my first blowoff and It's also the first time I've rehydrated my yeast before pitching which I think is what caused it. Any suggestions? I'm installing a blowoff tube now but I'm just worried about the beer and possible infection from being exposed.

My very first batch this happened to me and I had 2 airlocks, so I anxiously kept washing one and replacing with the other till it was done vigorously fermenting...

Better off to buy a blow off tube that will fit around the male end inside the airlock, have that tube go into a deep bowl or bucket of water. Same principle on a larger scale and less mess.

It will be fine though don't worry.

You will be fine, but yea, go get some vinyl tubing for lowes/homedepot sterilize it and put it in place of your carb. Run the other end to some sterile water and let it roll. I personaly use a medium size mason jar quarter filed with cheap vodka as my blow off receiver instead of sterile water.

Yep, the beer will be fine. +1 to the comments about running a blowoff tube. If you haven't already, next time you're at the LHBS or make an order online, throw in some Fermcap-S. It keeps the blowoff/krausen in check and is a total lifesaver. Cheers!

Oh, and keep rehydrating yeast like you did - a vigorous ferment is a good thing!

A vigorous initial fermentation is always a good thing! What I did was cut the grommet end off my old "S" type airlock & stick it in one end of a length of 3/8" tubing from Loew's into an empty 1/2G vodka jug 1/3 full of water with a splash of star-san. When initial fermentation is over,& remove the now dirty blow off tube,& install a sanitized airlock after cleaning the grommet area with some star-san.

My very first batch did the same thing. My beer turned out fine. Relax and have a store bought brew :)

image-2278211736.jpg

Thanks for all the input guys... Here's what I rigged up and seems to be working fine even though it still has foam and krausen partially blocking the tube. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back