My first batches - Some questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

JBooze

Reaction score
I started my first batch of beer on Friday night. I am starting the easy way with a pre-hopped extract kit from Muntons. I did it according to the instructions, but used dried malt extract instead of dextrose. The airlock was bubbling within 12 hours and by 24 hours it was raging. After 2 days though, it has pretty much stopped bubbling. I am not constantly watching it, but I haven't seen a bubble in a few hours. I figured it would be active longer than two days?!

I also started two batches of hard cider on Saturday. I did a gallon of apple juice with dextrose and Montrachet wine yeast and a gallon with dextrose and Saphron ale yeast. Both of these gallons were bubbling good at 12 hours and getting a bubble every three seconds at 24 hours. It's been two days, and they are still bubbling good, about every 4 seconds. So far so good on the cider, but I'm wondering what's up with the beer.

It's between 67-72 F where I'm keeping them.

Got Trub?

Reaction score
Your beer is probably done. A lower gravity beer with a good pitch of yeast can ferment quickly - especially at warmer temperatures. Fermentation generates heat so your fermentor was likely 4-5 degrees warmer then your ambient temp.

GT

rsmith179

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about that at all. It is quite common for the bubbling to stop after a good 2-3 days of fermentation. I would just keep it in there for about 2-3 weeks total if you aren't using a secondary, 1 if you're using the secondary. I just got done with a cream ale that had a hard but quite fermentation. Just check the gravity to make sure that you're on target with your FG. Good luck!

OP
J

JBooze

Reaction score
Should it be kept under 70 degrees? I live in FL, so it's hard to keep it under that. It's freezing out at the moment though, and i was trying to keep them warm.

I'm going to bottle from the fermenter, but I'll probably leave it in there for two weeks. I don't want to open it until I'm going to bottle, so I'll check the FG at that time. I did remember to take an OG on all three batches!

rsmith179

Reaction score
The temperature really depends on the style of beer you're going for. Higher temps produce more esters and "fruity" byproducts. Fusel alcohols are also produced at a higher rate in higher temps. Personally, I try to ferment all of my beers between 65-70F. However, for my Belgian Saison, I actually pushed temps into the mid-80's.