My first batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chabuhi

Reaction score
Here it is! My first batch of homebrew!

The head had fallen a bit by the time I thought to snap a pic of the first pour, but you'll have to take my word for it that it was a damn near perfect pour :rockin: It's a little cloudy, not sure what that is - maybe it's completely normal.

I'm tasting now - so if you never hear from me again, something probably went wrong.

But, seriously, it tastes like beer! I cannot remember the extract I used ... probably a pale ale of some sort. (I really should pay better attention next time.) Oh, and the flip-top almost went through the kitchen ceiling when I opened it ... so I guess I got the carbonation right at least!

Anyway, thanks to everyone who gave me advice along the way. I sincerely do not think things would have gone this well at all if not for the helpful folks here at HBT.

It might be a while before my next batch as I was laid off in May and have not found anything new and the money is starting to get a little tight (yeah, I know, boo-hoo, woe's me :) )

BUT ... I will be back at it again, no doubt! This was very fun and a very easy hobby that seems to lend itself to limited schedules (not that my schedule is so limited these days).

Thanks again!

thumb2_firsthb1-63562.jpg

thumb2_firsthb2-63563.jpg

Congrats on your first batch! Save a bottle of this batch for a year or so from now and compare it to how your brew is then. If i could go back and do one thing this would be it!

Flip top almost went through the ceiling? Perhaps you made the same mistake I did once. I pushed on the cap to open it. The correct way is to push on the bottom of the bale.
Nice looking beer. In some styles, like a wheat beer, the haze is supposed to be there.

Congrats on your first batch! Save a bottle of this batch for a year or so from now and compare it to how your brew is then. If i could go back and do one thing this would be it!
I have one liter left from my first batch, and you just convinced me to save it. Do I store room temp?

Store in the fridge. You don’t want the yeast to reactivate and have an exploding bottle.

If the beer was at true final gravity when bottled and the correct amount of priming sugar was used the bottles won't explode unless there is an infection. The yeast won't reactivate as there should be nothing left for them to eat. I've stored bottles for 2 years at room temperature with no problems. There are wild yeasts that can eat what we would call unfermentable sugars and that falls under the infection.

If the beer was at true final gravity when bottled and the correct amount of priming sugar was used the bottles won't explode unless there is an infection. The yeast won't reactivate as there should be nothing left for them to eat. I've stored bottles for 2 years at room temperature with no problems. There are wild yeasts that can eat what we would call unfermentable sugars and that falls under the infection.
Thanks for the clarification!

Back