My first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublevel007

Reaction score
Ok so this has been bottle conditioning for 5 days now (Belgian saison). I couldn't resist the urge to pop one open and see if it is carbonating. I got good carbonation going and a good head. However, it smells skunky to me. Also I noticed on the bottles that half the bottle seems hazy and the other half seems clear. Is that an infection?

image-3951467335.jpg

I do know it will get better with additional time in the bottles and especially if I chill it for a few days in the fridge before drinking. However my concern is that half the bottle seems to have something on the inside and the other half does not. I can't be something from the light as they are tucked away in a case container and in a closet in the basement where no light could get at it. Wondering if I didn't sanitize it properly. Just seems strange that its only in half the bottle?? Any ideas?

Give it more time, I have a ginger sasion that was in primary 6 weeks and is still (4 weeks) bottle conditioning they are getting better and better!!! The early samples were funky/skunky

Put the beer in a nice cool place where you won't see it everyday and leave it alone for a month. Knowing it was your first batch, you probably rushed your primary and bottled green beer :drunk:. Let the yeast do what they do and clean up the nasties that are made during fermentation. You aren't making beer for production reasons, so time is your friend here. :mug:

Back