My first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kb6m

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just started my first batch of cider. Hoping it turns out drinkable. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on the recipe I used.

4 gallons of Mott's apple juice
1.2 gallons of martinelli's cider (unopened left-overs from Christmas)
4# "Zulka" cane sugar
1# Light brown sugar
1 pkg of Nottingham yeast.

I poured 1/2 of each gallon of juice into the carboy, then I tried to dissolve about 1# each, of sugar, into the remaining 1/2 gallon, by shaking the heck out of it. I still had quite a bit of undissolved sugar in the carboy.

If I read the hydrometer correctly, it had an OG of 1.068. I put a fermentation lock, full of vodka, on it and set it in my closet. I really, really, tried to sanitize everything and hope it works out.

I plan on letting it go for about a month and then bottle it. This is going to be a long month.

Thanks,
Greg

I was going to say, before I reread your post and noticed that your sugar wasn't fully dissolved, that your OG seems low for 5 lbs of sugar. I don't know what the OG of the juice is but you should be at like 1.080 or so.

Will the yeast be able to eat the sugar that is sitting undesollved on the bottom? If so, will it take longer to brew.

Thanks,
Greg

They'll eat it. I don't know how long it will take though, you'll just have to wait and see.

That Martinelli's is the carbonated juice right? Make sure you shake it up good to get some air in there.

Fizzycist,
The martinelli's was just their still cider (juice). It comes in glass jars of 1.4qts each. My dad was going to use it for (non-alcoholic) spiced cider on Christmas.

Greg

Fizzycist,
The martinelli's was just their still cider (juice). It comes in glass jars of 1.4qts each. My dad was going to use it for (non-alcoholic) spiced cider on Christmas.

Greg

Ah, I see. Well, let us know how it turns out! :mug:

That's going to be some high octane hooch. I'd be willing to bet that you push 8.5 or 9% if you let that nottingham have it's way for a month without racking it.

Did you rehydrate the yeast before pitching it or just sprinkle it on top?

I rehydrated it with warm water for about 15 minutes. It's been about 24 hours now and it is bubbling away. High ABV is OK for me.

I will, probably, sweeten half the batch with some splenda. The other half, I'll leave dry. Then I'll add some juice concentrate, bottle, and let sit for a couple of weeks. If I get too much carbonation, my dad will be more than happy to store it in his "garage fridge". But, it'll cost a few bottles.

Greg

I was thinking with that much sugar it would be like throwing freshmen into a frat party. But if it's bubbling away...sounds like you are golden. Let us know how it turns out.

Well,
It's been six weeks since I put this batch up. It has been at 1.0 for 3 days. I can still see a few bubbles rising, and the fermentation lock is bubbling every once in a while. It tastes like alcohol and very weak apple juice.
I'm thinking about adding some splenda to sweeten it back up. Then adding some juice concentrate for carbonation. I have tomorrow off, so I will make a dozen 12oz bottles. The rest I will put in 22 oz bottles. I will use the 12oz bottles to check the carbonation. When they are good, I will put everything in the fridge.
Am I missing anything? Any suggestions?

Greg

Instead of your 12ozers you might bottle a couple PET bottles so you can hand feel firmness. That way you don't start cracking them open too early and wasting the nectar of gods.

I carbed mine with a can of frozen concentrate and it was pretty light carbonation. My next batch I'm going to use two frozen concentrates. Mine were 6 servings with 29g of sugar per serving. It's roughly the same as 6oz of sugar, or 3/4 cup. I tend to like more carbonation in my drink though.

Just thought I would share the results with everyone.

It turned out great. It's been almost 5 months since I started this batch. It has mellowed out, with the apple taste coming back, and all the sharp edges are gone. SWMBO loves this stuff :)

IMGP0712.jpg

Back