My First Batch of Homebrew and an Overflow Mess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yearlylesson

Reaction score
Saturday was a good day, I made my first batch of homebrew. It was a Brewers Best kit for Irish Stout. I had a blast and can't wait to free up the carboy so I can make another batch :)

If you are interested in blogged about this first batch at My First Batch of Homebrew

Quick question, I woke up this morning to find that fermentation was in full swing, all the free space in the carboy was filled with foam, the airlock was filled with wort and it was leaking out the top. I quickly ran out and got a larger hose and setup a blow off bucket. I am surprised at how much activity I am getting already. The recipe called for Maltodextrin, could that be the cause or did I overfill the carboy? Is this to be expected?

It could happen on any batch, maltodextrin should not be the problem. Actually you don't have a problem, you have a really good fermentation going. :)

Why wait, buy another fermenter now since you are going to eventually anyway.

Whew, that's good news, I was worried that there were too many sugars or that I overfilled the carboy and watered down the wort. Can't wait to drink it.

Back