My first bag of malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subwyking

Reaction score
I bought my first bag of malt this weekend. I was super excited, my wife said I was smiling like an idiot. I broke it down and bagged it up in small bags, and packed it in the fermentation freezer. I'm soooo excited :D

DSCN0150.jpg

DSCN0155.jpg

DSCN0154.jpg

DSCN0148.jpg

It's all down hill from here...

My first bull buy I had 3 sacks and 4 splits (220 lbs IIRC). Currently have about 11 lbs of hops and 300 lbs of grain at the house... And I'm running low on grain....had nearly 700 lbs at one point.

Enjoy my friend!! NOTHING like getting to brew on a whim any time you find the time, and not be limited based on ingredient availability.

unless it's milled (or you have a serious rodent or insect problem), I wouldn't worry about putting it in your fermentation chamber. It'll keep for a long time just sealed up in buckets.

I dunno, I've read that extreme heat can speed up the staling process. It was 102 today, and it will only get hotter.

It's all down hill from here...

My first bull buy I had 3 sacks and 4 splits (220 lbs IIRC). Currently have about 11 lbs of hops and 300 lbs of grain at the house... And I'm running low on grain....had nearly 700 lbs at one point.

Enjoy my friend!! NOTHING like getting to brew on a whim any time you find the time, and not be limited based on ingredient availability.

I'm pretty fired up about it for the same reasons. I'm planning on making a big hop purchase soon too.

I dunno, I've read that extreme heat can speed up the staling process. It was 102 today, and it will only get hotter.

I wasn't suggesting you keep it outdoors.. I assume it's not 102 in your house.. I keep mine in the garage - it's insulated, so it rarely goes over 80 in there.

Heck, as long as you have room to keep it cold, no reason NOT to. After all, refrigerating is less efficient when there is nothing in there.
I'm looking forward to my first bulk grain buy.... Now I want it even MORE!
Congrats on stepping up!

Heck, as long as you have room to keep it cold, no reason NOT to. After all, refrigerating is less efficient when there is nothing in there.
I'm looking forward to my first bulk grain buy.... Now I want it even MORE!
Congrats on stepping up!

I agree.. no reason not to, but it just looks like alot of extra work to individually package them all out and cool them. I buy a bag, dump it into an airtight container that we used to use for dogfood and call it good.

bruin_ale said:
I wasn't suggesting you keep it outdoors.. I assume it's not 102 in your house.. I keep mine in the garage - it's insulated, so it rarely goes over 80 in there.

The garage doesn't get too hot, until my wife parks her hot car in there. Then it becomes a steam room. Anyways, I figured it's dead space in the freezer and I can add some thermal mass. Besides, it's in the freezer no critters can get to it.

bruin_ale said:
I agree.. no reason not to, but it just looks like alot of extra work to individually package them all out and cool them. I buy a bag, dump it into an airtight container that we used to use for dogfood and call it good.

I honestly almost bought another one, we use one for the dog food too. Maybe if it were fall, but it gets pretty miserable here outside. And my beer hobby is definitely an outside hobby.

Back