My First Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JusBiz

Reaction score
The inner microbiologist in me is screaming to brew with wild yeast. After lurking around on here and a few other blogs, I've decided on the following plan:

85% German pils
10% Wheat
5% Acid malt

Mash high ~ 154 deg F

Under 20 IBUs with Fuggles
Ferment with a belgian abbey

Then, for some fun. I'll split the batch in 3 X 1 gallon jugs and pitch Roeselare Ale Blend in each. One, I'll leave be. Another, i'll add chardonnay soaked oak cubes. The last, I'll add some wild yeast. These i'll get by leaving some wort outside for a few days.

I'll post the results a year later. Any suggestions

Sounds like a fun experiment but you might want to skip the abbey yeast and just pitch Roeselare. It has a sacc strain included that will go to work in the primary so no real need for the abbey. Are you going to try to catch some wild yeast outside with one of the jugs? If you're pitching Roeselare in each I'm not sure that will work. There are some threads on this forum about capturing wild yeast that can help you more on that idea. I'd just go with the Roeselare and split the batch in three after at least six months of aging, then add the oak in one, and maybe fruit in another and leave the third portion alone. Maybe add different sour dregs in each of the jugs to see how each one changes the sour profile of the beer? Roeselare also tends to be on the mild side in terms of tartness so adding dregs will get you more sour if that's what you're shooting for. Experimenting like this is fun so good luck and keep us posted!

Back