My First APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchlazzGraft

Reaction score
I posted this in the recipe forum, and then saw that all the other recipes are pretty well established and brewed by many people. I figured posting it on here would get more responses... sorry for being a noob (and mods can feel free to delete it from the recipe page if necessary). I sampled one of these a week after bottling, very pleased so far and I'm expecting it to get much better! :mug:

Here it goes, I called it Mad River Pale Ale... after a trip to vermont where I enjoyed many simcoe-riddled ales :D

Yeast: Wyeast 1272 American Ale II
Batch Size: 5 Gal
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.013
IBU: ~40
Boil: 60 Min
Color: 10 SRM
Primary: 7 days
Secondary: 10 days

Tastybrew details (IBU a little higher here than I think it actually is)
Code:
%Weight    Weight (lbs)  	                              	Grav    Color
42.9 % 	   3.00 	Light Dry Malt Extract 	Muntons 	20.3 	2.0
35.7 % 	   2.50 	Amber Dry Malt Extract 	Muntons 	16.9 	12.5
7.1 % 	   0.50 	Crystal 60L 		                 2.3 	60.0
7.1 % 	   0.50 	Belgian Biscuit 		         2.3 	23.0
7.1 % 	   0.50 	CaraPils 		                 2.5 	1.8
Total      7.00 	  	  	                        44.1 	 

Hops
% Wt 	Weight (oz)  Hop 	Form 	AA% 	AAU 	Boil 	Util. 	IBU
25.0 % 	0.50 	      Simcoe    Pellet 	13.0 	6.5 	60 	0.052 	33.6
25.0 % 	0.50 	      Simcoe 	Pellet 	13.0 	6.5 	15 	0.015 	9.6
25.0 % 	0.50 	     Amarillo 	Pellet 	7.0 	3.5 	15 	0.015 	5.2
25.0 % 	0.50 	     Amarillo 	Pellet 	7.0 	3.5 	1 	0.002 	0.7
Total   2.00 	  	  	  	  	  	               49.0

If you leave it in the primary for 4 weeks, you can skip the secondary, and your beer is going to be clearer and cleaner tasting.
Other than that, looks good to me.

If you leave it in the primary for 4 weeks, you can skip the secondary, and your beer is going to be clearer and cleaner tasting.
Other than that, looks good to me.

Yeah, if I was to brew this one again (and i probably will) I'd just do primary. It was only my second brew, first one picking out my ingredients, and I racked into the secondary on my own. It was a bit cumbersome, and by the end I lost the siphon and couldn't get it to suck up the last little bit. Worried about contamination from exposure, and due to frustration, I just dumped the last bit. Probably about a quarts worth... :mad:

Live and learn I suppose, but it still drives me crazy to think about that good beer that went to waste!

Yeah, if I was to brew this one again (and i probably will) I'd just do primary. It was only my second brew, first one picking out my ingredients, and I racked into the secondary on my own. It was a bit cumbersome, and by the end I lost the siphon and couldn't get it to suck up the last little bit. Worried about contamination from exposure, and due to frustration, I just dumped the last bit. Probably about a quarts worth... :mad:

Live and learn I suppose, but it still drives me crazy to think about that good beer that went to waste!

It was probably best to just let it go, but I know how you feel.
My siphoning technique is to put the intake about halfway down the primary and get it going. Once I have made sure that it isn't aerating the hell out of the beer in the bottling bucket (which is always a battle), I concentrate on keeping from losing the siphon on the intake by moving the wand down a few inches at a time. When it gets down to about one and a half inches left, I position that little black boot on the tube just above the yeast cake, and start slowly tipping the primary to that side. I can usually leave less than a quarter cup that way, and get no cloudy beer at all.

I bottled about 2 weeks ago, the taste is very citrusy and refreshing... and only gonna get better :mug:
edit: there's still a little chill haze going on, which might clear up. mostly just from condensation though

IMG_2413.JPG

Back