My First All Grain Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsanchez473

Reaction score
So I haven't brewed in years but im jumping in head first with a home grain brew
Maybe give me some Ideas for my recipe this is what I came up with so far for a 5 gallon batch

4.5 lbs Wheat
4.0 lbs American Pale
.75 lbs Flaked Oats
.25 lbs Flaked wheat

Mashing at 155 with 3gallon
Quick mash out with a little hotter water 165-170
only a few quarts up to a gallon in the past I remember it helping with wheat beers

Sparging at 155 with 4.5 gallons

.75 oz Cascade whole as FWH
.50 oz cascade whole 20 min boil
.25 oz Cascade while in primary
1.0 oz Columbus pellets 90 min boil

0.5 oz Ground Corriander
.75 oz Clementine peel
.25 oz Grapefruit peel

Welcome back to brewing. Sparge with 170F water. That is the only thing I saw. I think that will help the efficiency a lot. Do you control the fermentation temperature? This really makes a difference too with wheat beers. What yeast have you chosen? Keep the fermentation at 65F if you can.

I was gonna go with California ale yeast from white labs. I here that strain maintains a nice clean flavor I was trying to find somthing close to what they use in blue moon any suggestions.

I'm gonna try and keep the temp in the 65-70 range tho it being summer its gonna be a lil harder its gonna be in my down stairs bathroom room i'll prolly keep the central air on around 70 but it stays pretty chilly down there.

I figured the mash out with higher temp would be okay I'm gonna take the sparge water from the same hot tank as the mash out I'm just pretty sure itll drop 10-15 degrees from the start to the end. just gonna use a 10 gallon water cooler as the hot tank. I was thinkin my inlaws have one of those tea/coffee tanks like they have a buffets and stuff I'm thinkin of takin that itll be easy to keep the water hot. In the past being consistent on the sparge water was always a problem effecting my efficiency

Back