My first All grain brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CeeTee

Reaction score
So I finally made the transition. The brewday went fairly well aside from the burnt tubing and trouble tranferring liquids... but I lived and learned.

Anyway, I made a SMaSH beer to keep it simple. Maris Otter and Amarillo... using Safale S04 to ferment.

It turned out good. Drinkable, but not great. Not something I would be proud to serve everyone that comes over. It has a slight (but diminishing) grain/husk off flavor on the backend. I'm hoping that it will continue to fade in the bottles...

My question is, what would cause this? I didn't boil any of the grains. I used a separate mash tun. I don't think I'm tasting oxidation, but I did have some trouble with my siphon when transferring to the bottliing bucket (air bubbles in the siphon). Has anyone experienced this first hand? If so, did you pinpoint what caused the issue? I love this recipe, but I don't love this back-end taste.

Maris Otter @ 10 lbs.
Amarillo Hops
Amarillo dry hop (5 days)
Safale S04

Mashed 152F -> 148F (loss of 4 deg over 60 minutes)
Batch sparged for 20 minutes
Boiled for 60 minutes
Fermented at 64 -> 68

Thanks all! :mug:

It might be the Maris Otter. The worst AG beer I made (in my opinion) was with Maris Otter. Try the same recipe with a pale malt/2 row and see if you notice a difference.

I agree. I love MO for the styles that best highlight its qualities. For something like this I would use a US 2 row. I would also consider switching the S-04 to US-05. This makes it a very American Pale and quite clean and crisp. I do a pale like this. I also add rye and a small touch of crystal on occasion to make a rye ale.

Thanks for the quick reply. You know, I was wondering if it could be the grain selection. I just heard so many good things about MO. I will definitely try this with some 2 row and S05 for a solid APA. Thanks for the help! It's much appreciated!

I use MO a lot and love it. I have not used it in a SMaSH recipe though. I don't fly sparge but I would try to slow it down some. I have read that it is preferred to make it last for 45 minutes or longer.

For the siphon. Look to see that you have a solid connection between the cane and the vinyl tubing and air is not getting in. I find that sometimes with my autosiphon, after I pump to start it, a small bubble will remain at the junction between the cane and the tubing. No additional air is getting in. The bubble just stays there so I have no worries about introducing oxygen. It is not happening.

I just wanted to update this thread. After an extra week in the bottle (17 days total) the grain taste is completely gone. It's actually very delicious and I'm very happy with it! Thanks everyone for your help!

Latest posts

Back