my first all grain brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
i really need a wort chiller, had to put it in the fridge to get it down to the right temp. mash tun worked perfect held temp good. It is alot more work than cans, hopefully it will be worth it. already looking to make another all grain. started at 10:30 done around 1am. it looked really gross, it was all green must have been the hops i added. would like to know how to sparge?? i dumped water at 170 in the tun and let it sit for 30 min is this the right way???

;

I think we need more info on the recipe and your process before we can tell you if you're doing it right.

Definitely going from can or even extract to all-grain, you'll see a lot more "funk" to your wort. Think egg-soup!. It's perfectly normal though.

Sparging is technically rinsing your grain, which is different than mashing. Usually you don't let sparge water sit like you would with your mash.

You are shooting for 165 to 169 on your sparge. You would normally need hotter water (180 to 185) to get there. If too hot, just add a little cool water. Also, we leave the sparge for about 5 minutes then drain. Get a program. There are several for the Iphone or Windows. I like BrewMath and BrewPal for the Iphone. They are very reasonable. Forget a Wort Chiller and get a Plate Chiller. They work 100 x as good. With a March Pump, we can cool the wort as fast as we can pump it with the plate chiller.

would like to know how to sparge?? i dumped water at 170 in the tun and let it sit for 30 min is this the right way???

I can't say that there is a right way to sparge, just that there are many wrong ways. You don't want your grain bed to get above 170F, and you don't want to dump the wort on the floor. If you go by those rules you're mostly there.
Letting it sit for 30 min is fine, but unnecessary. It is good because things settle and make a good "grain bed" before you start pulling out of it. So your runnings will clear up faster. I don't do that because I'm usually trying to finish faster.

i sparged at 170 so i was good. the only problem i had was when i dumped the water in the mash tun and the steam burned my arm. lol

Latest posts

Back