My first all grain (biab) hoppy red recipe (opinions?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmicJam

Reaction score
Hey, can you guys who know a lot more than me please have a look and give me some thoughts... be as harsh as you like :)

only my 3rd ever batch.

small batch of 12L in a 19L (5gal) pot, full boil

Grist:
2.3kg Pale malt (76.7%)
0.3kg Carared (10%)
0.2kg Caramunich II (6.7%)
0.15kg Melanoidin (5%)
0.05kg Carafa Special II (1.7%)

Mashing at 67C (154?F) for 60 mins

60 min boil

Hops
5g Galaxy, @ first wort, 60min (15 IBU)
10g Galaxy, 10g Cascade @ 10 (9.9 IBU & 5.1 IBU)
10g Galaxy, 10g Cascade @ flame out (0 IBU)

1 smack pack of wyeast 1272 (American ale 2)

Total:
OG:1.055 (FG 1.013)
5.5% vol
30 IBU
34 EBC

I'm aiming for a deep red colour with a malty, caramel sweet taste and a good hop flavour and aroma without being too bitter. If you have never used Galaxy hops they are kind of spicy and have a big passionfruit flavour.

Cheers! :rockin:

While the recipe prints as appetizing, I'd be inclined to start simple. Keep it to a single specialty malt, then taste the beer to see what it needs. Otherwise, how will you know which ingredient contributed that weird flavor you don't really like?

Thanks for the reply mate.

I agree with you but I'm torn between that and wanting a nice deep red colour and complex malt profile. After this I plan on doing a series of pale ales to do just that (as well as try out different hops).

It is only a small batch though and want to jump straight into the deep end. :)

You can get a deep red colour with a touch of roasted barley or black malt rather than all of the crystal malt. I'd go that route first and see which crystal type malts you like the flavour of.

For example, melanoiden is a very powerful malt, especially in addition to the carared and the German Caras.

Here's luck :mug:

Back