My first all grain batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbase2293

Reaction score
Hello,
I’m going to be switching from extract brewing to all grain brewing for my next batch. My setup right now is a 5 gallon cooler which I’m converting into a mash tun and for my boil kettle I’m using the gigawort from northern brewer. I believe it holds up to 4.5 gallons. My question is should I use a 5 gallon mash tun or should I buy a 10 gallon? And I need advice on how much grains/ water I will be needing if I were to use a 5 gallon setup?

Welcome to HBT!

I take it your doing 1-3 gallon batches. I think the average is 1.5 qts per # of grain. I've never had a cooler mash tun so I'm not sure tbh. However I think you'd be fine with 1-3 gallon brews. If your wanting to do 5 gallon batches I'm afraid your going to need a different set up

Welcome to HBT!

I take it your doing 1-3 gallon batches. I think the average is 1.5 qts per # of grain. I've never had a cooler mash tun so I'm not sure tbh. However I think you'd be fine with 1-3 gallon brews. If your wanting to do 5 gallon batches I'm afraid your going to need a different set up
Thanks so much for the advice!

Are you buying the grains and sizing the recipe to suit your equipment or buy a already made up grain kit?

Most all grain ingredient kits are sized for 5 or 10 gallons and a few are 1 gallon kits. So your current equipment will require you to bust up your kit to a more appropriate size.

All grain mashing, sparging, boiling and even putting in the fermenter can lead you through an obstacle course of many different opinions. Mostly because there are so many different ways to do it right. Though once you settle on your way of doing it, all the others will be wrong. :bigmug:

So just be ready for things not going like you planned and having to drop back and punt.

I bought a 5 gal pot and it holds 5 gal if filled to the top edge. So most you could boil is I guess around 3 gal on it. If you are planning to do 5 gal batches then you will need at least a 7+ gal boil kettle.

I batch sparge and have a 10 gallon pot and a 12 gallon rectangular cooler mash tun with a bazooka screen. I also have an 8 gallon HLT. This equipment works well for me for 5 gallon batches.

If you are planning on buying 5 gallon all grain kits you will need something similar but it also depends on your method as well, as that will also determine your equipment needs.

Last edited:
I bought a 5 gal pot and it holds 5 gal if filled to the top edge. So most you could boil is I guess around 3 gal on it. If you are planning to do 5 gal batches then you will need at least a 7+ gal boil kettle.
I have an 8 gallon electric kettle and it is very close to boil over for 5 gallon batches. In fact I just had a boil over when I thought all was good and turned my back. I have decided a 15 gallon electric kettle in being delivered in the next few days. I also started with a 5 gallon igloo because I thought it was a good price. It was for a five gallon igloo, but it takes forever doing the sparges. I am deliberating between a 10 gallon igloo and a 12 gallon rectangular (much cheaper). Any thoughts?

Back