Quantcast

My first AG Hop Head II IPA ???

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

springer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
4,737
Reaction score
33
Location
Wappingers falls NY
Here is the grain bill

Ingredients: 5 gallon recipe
14 lbs. Domestic 2-Row barley malt,
4 oz. Aromatic,
12 oz. Caramel 60°L,
8 oz. Victory,
1 oz. Chinook, 1 oz. Cascade, 1 oz. Centennial, 1 oz. Crystal and 2 oz. Cascade

1 oz Chinook bittering hops and boil for 60 minutes
After 15 minutes add ½ oz Cascade hops .
Wait 15 more minutes and add ½ oz Centennial hops. After 10 more minutes add the other ½ oz Cascade hops Wait 10 minutes then add the other ½ oz Centennial hops . After 5 minutes add 1 oz Crystal hops and boil for the last 5 minutes

Calls for 1 1/2 quarts per pound of grain for strike @ 152 for 60 min= approx 4.5 gallons

Sparge 1/2 gallon per pound = approx 7.5 gallons. I plan on batch sparging


My question is should I stop the sparge before the full amount of wort is collected or take readings untill I hit 1.010 I have done kits with steeping grain and malt in the past with a start or 6-61/2 gallons .

Seems I would have to boil along time to get from 10 gallons down to 61/2 to start my hop additions
 

PseudoChef

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2007
Messages
3,401
Reaction score
117
Location
West Chicago 'Burbs
I would personally move everything except the initial bittering addition (which I think you may need more of) to the last 15 or so minutes.

I'd try to plug this into actual beer recipe software so you have a better understanding of the IBU, gravity, and so forth.
 

ajf

Senior Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Oct 29, 2005
Messages
4,648
Reaction score
119
Location
Long Island
I'd drain the initial runnings, and then calculate how much extra you need to reach your pre-boil volume. I'd then do two equal volume sparges to reach the required volume. The runnings of the second batch will probably be > 1.010, so you will lose a little bit in efficiency, but that sure beats boiling off 4.5 gallons.
If you did collect 10 gallons, then you will almost certainly be over-sparging, and the runnings will drop way below 1,010.

-a.
 

Blender

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
3,106
Reaction score
8
Location
Santa Cruz, CA.
15.5 lbs of grain X 1.5 qts. = 5.8 gallons I think. You will loose a bit of water due to absorbtion and maybe some deadspace in the cooler. I use .14 gallon per pound.

I would collect 7.5 gallons or so and boil from that point on. I take it you don't quite know how much will evaporate?

Looks very hoppy.
 
OP
springer

springer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
4,737
Reaction score
33
Location
Wappingers falls NY
Blender said:
15.5 lbs of grain X 1.5 qts. = 5.8 gallons I think. You will loose a bit of water due to absorbtion and maybe some deadspace in the cooler. I use .14 gallon per pound.

I would collect 7.5 gallons or so and boil from that point on. I take it you don't quite know how much will evaporate?

Looks very hoppy.
In the past a 1 hour boil would evaporate between 1-1 1/2 gallons per hour but it all depends on the weather. And this is the first time with the keggle I used to use a 24 quart SS pot I bought at Sams.

Love hops ..:rockin:

ajf said:
I'd drain the initial runnings, and then calculate how much extra you need to reach your pre-boil volume. I'd then do two equal volume sparges to reach the required volume. The runnings of the second batch will probably be > 1.010, so you will lose a little bit in efficiency, but that sure beats boiling off 4.5 gallons.
If you did collect 10 gallons, then you will almost certainly be over-sparging, and the runnings will drop way below 1,010.

-a.
Thanks so it looks like I will play it by ear.

I dont want my brew day to last all day ..... unless the the wife puts out the honeydo list then a day away is just the ticket.
 
OP
springer

springer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
4,737
Reaction score
33
Location
Wappingers falls NY
PseudoChef said:
I would personally move everything except the initial bittering addition (which I think you may need more of) to the last 15 or so minutes.

I'd try to plug this into actual beer recipe software so you have a better understanding of the IBU, gravity, and so forth.
Unfortunately I dont have any extra hops to add at the start and I cant justify an order for just1 or 2 oz of hops..I will try the later additions


I did forget to mention that I will be dry hopping with 2 oz of Williamette leaf hops.. Was suppose to be Cascade but they sent me Williamette
 
OP
springer

springer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
4,737
Reaction score
33
Location
Wappingers falls NY
PseudoChef said:
I would personally move everything except the initial bittering addition (which I think you may need more of) to the last 15 or so minutes.

I'd try to plug this into actual beer recipe software so you have a better understanding of the IBU, gravity, and so forth.

I just used tastybrew to do some calculations


OG 1.079
FG 1.020
IBU 85
ABV 7.6 %
SRM 7

Specifics
Boil Volume 7.0 gallons
Batch Size 5 gallons
Yeast 75% AA

Style Comparison
Low High
OG 1.050 1.079 1.075
FG 1.012 1.020 1.016
IBU 40 85 60+
SRM 8 7 14
ABV 5 7.6 7.8

% Weight Weight (lbs) Grain Gravity Points Color
90.3 % 14.00 American Two-row Pale 72.5 5.0
4.8 % 0.75 Caramel 3.5 0.8
3.2 % 0.50 American Victory 2.4 2.5
1.6 % 0.25 Belgian Aromatic 1.1 1.3
15.50 79.4
% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Boil Time Utilization IBU
16.7 % 1.00 Chinook Pellet 12.0 12.0 60 0.239 43.0
8.3 % 0.50 Cascade Pellet 6.6 3.3 45 0.220 10.9
8.3 % 0.50 Centennial Pellet 10.5 5.3 30 0.184 14.5
8.3 % 0.50 Cascade Pellet 6.6 3.3 20 0.145 7.2
8.3 % 0.50 Centennial Pellet 10.5 5.3 10 0.087 6.8
16.7 % 1.00 Crystal Pellet 3.5 3.5 5 0.048 2.5
33.3 % 2.00 Willamette Whole/Plug 5.5 11.0 DH 0.000 0.0
6.00 84.9

85 IBU can that be correct. I did this at a 70% efficiency(wishfull thinking)
 
Top