My first AG brew day; efficiency check?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, today I did it, I made my first AG this morning. It is a Edwort Haus Pale Ale.
All seemed to go pretty smoothly, MLT only dropped 3 degrees in 60 min, so I'm happy with that considering.
Now, I took a gravity reading right after mashout/sparge and only got 1.032 taken at about 80*; postboil I got 1.044 taken at 72*(goal was 1.051)
How do I figure my brewhouse efficiency? Could someone help me out with this one pls?

As always, :mug:

Well, today I did it, I made my first AG this morning. It is a Edwort Haus Pale Ale.
All seemed to go pretty smoothly, MLT only dropped 3 degrees in 60 min, so I'm happy with that considering.
Now, I took a gravity reading right after mashout/sparge and only got 1.032 taken at about 80*; postboil I got 1.044 taken at 72*(goal was 1.051)
How do I figure my brewhouse efficiency? Could someone help me out with this one pls?

Try this link:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/brewhouse-efficiency/

Congrats on your first AG. I assume you sparged until a desired preboil volume was achieved. Another option would have been to do a dilution calculation then boil off the required volume in order to hit your desired SG. Looks like you would have only needed to boil a little longer.
BTW, I use the brewersfriend calculators too and have the app on my android phone.

Congrats on your first AG. I assume you sparged until a desired preboil volume was achieved. Another option would have been to do a dilution calculation then boil off the required volume in order to hit your desired SG. Looks like you would have only needed to boil a little longer.
BTW, I use the brewersfriend calculators too and have the app on my android phone.

Which app is that? I've got Beersmith2 Lite, SpargePal, and BrewCalc
It dooes seem like the brewersfriend calcs are more user friendly?

And, you're right, I just needed to boil a little longer...

So I just did a gravity check 5 days out; 1.004!

WTH? Water is 1.000. Should I be concerned, it looked really thin and light (obviously)?

Sample taste was same. I'd love to be able to have someone say they loved my first AG brew, but as of right now...

More time? RDWHAHB?

Thx, B

birdley123 said:
So I just did a gravity check 5 days out; 1.004!

WTH? Water is 1.000. Should I be concerned, it looked really thin and light (obviously)?

Sample taste was same. I'd love to be able to have someone say they loved my first AG brew, but as of right now...

More time? RDWHAHB?

Thx, B

Sounds like you mashed pretty low and got a more fermentable wort.

Be sure to calibrate your thermometer. Warmer mash temps = less fermentable, fuller bodied beer, lower temps = more fermentable, drier, thinner beer.

Having a therm emoter that does not read properly is a common problem. People mash at what they think is right only to find their measuring device is off

Back