My Fermentation Chamber Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IowaHomeBrewer

Reaction score
Bought a 4.5 cubic foot mini fridge on craigs list. Original reason for buying it was so I could use some Lager yeast.

After that, I was reading about yeast temperatures, and all the pros say fermentation temperature control is the #1 thing you can do to improve your beer after you have a good grasp on the hot side of brewing.

So.. I changed my plans and made a fermentation chamber.

I paid $70 for the temperature controller from my local shop, I like to support small businesses when I can, i know i could have saved another $20 online.

Used some scrap wood I had laying around and picked up some insulation panels from Home Depot.

Had to build the top a little bit higher than the fridge itself so I could fit the FastFerment in there... the back panel over the fridge was a little tough to get a good seal on.

The end result...

Ferm%201_zpstzefbdxo.jpg

Ferm%202_zpsxznkbbwd.jpg

Ferm%203_zpsufc3xfcq.jpg

Wait........

You took a minifridg.... removed the door....... and turned it into a box of glory for your Fastferment ANDDD Bucket fermenter?!

OMG

you win the day

Tuxedo__bowler_hat_1896-cow-comp.jpg

I can't tell if your post is satirical, or if there is genuine enthusiasm there.

Either way, :rockin:

This is actually pretty awesome, where did you find the panels of insulator? What brand name or what is it called?

Well I just figured out what I'm doing with my old mini fridge! Nice idea!

The insulation panels are the same kind they use on the exterior of homes beneath the siding. I used 1 inch panels with a rating of R3. The two inch panels are ar10. My basement stays around 75 and my chamber needs to be at 65 so I didn't think I needed the 2 inch. I may add another layer of 1 inch over what I have in there now though. They sell them at home Depot in 8 ft x 4 ft panels, back by the lumber.

I did the exact same thing when I started brewing. You should add a small computer fan to circulate the air inside. It will keep temps better and more consistent with less cycling of the fridge compressor. I had my fan turn on/off the same time the compressor turned on/off.

Ya, I am going to plug the Ranko into a surge protector instead of directly to the fridge. When the power kicks on it will turn the fan on too.

Back