My experience with nottingham bry-97 "West Coast" ale yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cublue

Reaction score
I have not read anything on this forum regarding this yeast strain yet, so I am posting this as an FYI. Hope it helps.
So, a while ago I picked up a new yeast on a whim. I decided to try it in my brew of Yooper's "Fat Sam". This notty 97, is supposed to be a very clean yeast, also referred to as west coast ale. So I brewed on Monday afternoon, dropped it in my new fermentation chamber built off my mini fridge. This was my first batch to grace the chamber, which was keeping things in the low 50's. Well so far my experience has been that this strain needs a little higher temp. 4 days and 0 activity...not even a bubble! I have always had strong activity in 48 to 60 hrs with nottingham using the ice, t shirt, swamp cooler method. Well tonight, midnight Friday, I saw the first bubbles, but only after letting it warm up to about 60 (according to the sticky thermometer). Looking back, I wished I had used a clear fermenter, but oh well.
I will keep an eye on it. But if I am right, this may be a solution for people who have trouble keeping fermentation temps down.
Anyone else use this and have similar (or differing) experiences?

Thanks for the info man. I will surely know to keep this yeast above 60! Since its an ale yeast and they usually ferment best at 60-70 I would assume that it says that on the package as well common sense would say to always pitch an ale yeast above 60. What strains are you using in the 48-60 range?

Well yes, I pitched at 70, always do as I have no wort chiller, so it is hard to get it lower quickly. But try to keep it at an ambient temp lower than that for at least 5 to 7 days to keep the esters down. Have never had a problem with fermentation starting, even in an ice bath with safale 04 or 05, or nottingham's other yeast. Even when the sticky thermometer would read mid 50's. Maybe just a slow starter...
Like is said, first time using this packet of beasties, looking forward to how she goes. Trying to get a consensus on the strain...
Have you used it before?

That's my experience as well. Also, a blow off tube isn't optional once it gets going. I still have airlock activity after two weeks, so this baby is a slow finisher too.

I brewed an APA yesterday with this yeast. Pitched at 65F, I have active fermentation in less than 24 hours. We'll see how quick it finishes.

Yeah. So far I have learned it doesn't like a hair below 59! I have it holding at an external temp of 62, it seems to be bubbling steadily. I dropped the temp after bubbling to 58, where I like to keep notty regular after fermentation has begun, and activity stopped. Crazy sensitive to lower temps... Keep mid sixties and you'll be golden! Smells awfully yeasty :) it'll be weeks before I get to taste results. I may just stick to safale 05 in the future, but we'll see.

Thanks.
No I didn't catch that, via Google or hbt search. Didn't mean to tread already trampled ground.

Back