My equipment supplier generously sent me a complimentary fermentation chamber.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBbrew

Reaction score
GoLS9.jpg

;)

It was around 65-67dF so I'm trying to bring it up a couple degrees. Thats just a space heater set to 70.

that was the internal temperature of the beer during the fermentation? fermentation can bring it up a couple of degreese...

As far as my thermometer is telling me. This is my first brew so I don't have the greatest temp taking setup, so i'm just going by ambient temperature and also just by how warm it feels. Trying to keep it as constant as possible, near 70

ya, but ambiet temperature can be 65 and beer at 70... I would hate for you to heat beer up to 74 unless you want to by using a space heater. Really clean a turkey baster or something and take a sample and temp that. 65 sounds good for fermenting beer at 70 :)

As far as my thermometer is telling me. This is my first brew so I don't have the greatest temp taking setup, so i'm just going by ambient temperature and also just by how warm it feels. Trying to keep it as constant as possible, near 70

What yeast? I've found my beers are better now that I better control my fermentation temperature and keeping it on the lower end of the yeast's temperature range. For example, for both US-05 and US-04, I've been having good results with temperature (measured on the outside of the fermentation bucket) around 63 degrees.

ya, but ambiet temperature can be 65 and beer at 70... I would hate for you to heat beer up to 74 unless you want to by using a space heater. Really clean a turkey baster or something and take a sample and temp that. 65 sounds good for fermenting beer at 70 :)

Thats some good advice, thanks.

What yeast?

California Ale Yeast WLP001

California Ale Yeast WLP001

From White Labs Web-Site:
WLP001 California Ale Yeast
This yeast is famous for its clean flavors, balance and ability to be used in almost any style ale. It accentuates the hop flavors and is extremely versatile.
Attenuation: 73-80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-73°F
(20-23°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: High

So it looks like it is very tolerant of higher temperatures. If it were me, I would still try to get the outside temperature of the fermentation bucket around 64-65 degrees, figuring it will easily be 3 or more degrees warmer inside the bucket (where the yeast are doing their thing and producing HEAT).

Also, there's this discussion about using this yeast as low as 60 degrees.

Hope this helps.

Yeah man don't heat it...... just let her be. Protect it from light and it will be fine you want to be sure ambient is 64-68the with that cal ale yeast.

Sounds good I'll keep that stuff in mind. One thing I have noticed however is that when I keep the heater on for about half and hour then turn it off, fermentation takes off again. But when I leave it to cool down, it shuts off completely, and there is even negative pressure in my airlock.

Sounds good I'll keep that stuff in mind. One thing I have noticed however is that when I keep the heater on for about half and hour then turn it off, fermentation takes off again. But when I leave it to cool down, it shuts off completely, and there is even negative pressure in my airlock.

Yes, higher temperatures will be FASTER (up to a point), but not necessarily BETTER. Also, keeping the temperature somewhat steady is a good thing.

Back