My eHERMS build (Kal clone with tweaks)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDDSlinger

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started acquiring parts in March for this build. I brewed my first batch a few weeks ago and will be kegging it this Friday. The vent is not in any of these images but it is a 30qt mixing bowl and 4" blower.

The main differences from Kal's setup is the following.

1. Cheap ($99) 80qt Concord kettles.
2. Mash tun "in" temp probe, I used smaller 1/32 DIN SYL-1512A PIDs for the mash sensors.
3. Used the Auber JSL-73B timer and the red button is for mute not reset.
4. Combined volt/amp meter that runs on 240v.
5. Chugger pumps
6. E-stop and combined buzzer/light
7. Cam-locks
8. Setup for whirlpooling and I use an immersion chiller. I just upgraded to a JaDeD king cobra for the next batch.
9. DIY vent. Source
10. Jaybird false bottom

DSC02357.jpg

DSC02356.jpg

DSC02358.jpg

I did my first batch two weeks ago. A 10 gallon batch of Kal's electric pale ale seemed appropriate. Its just finishing dry hopping and should be kegged this weekend. The only big issue I had was clogging a pump during the whirl pool. I usually use pellets but had some older whole hops I wanted to use up. I do not use a hop stopper so some whole hops made it to the pump and clogged it. In the future I will be bagging whole hops if I must use them. There is more detail on a website I set up to document the build beer.decristofaro.us.

Regarding the pots, for the dollar I think they are great. The only issue I had was a slight leak from one of the handle rivets on my boil kettle. I went at it with a ball peen hammer which seems to have solved the issue. It should not matter in the boil kettle anyway since I do not think I will have a preboil volume greater then 15 gallons which wont even reach the rivet anyway. Between the kettles, pumps, hood, and ebay sourcing for panel parts I think cut a good amount of cost out of the project.

Nice job!

Regarding using temp probes on the mash "in" and "out": I used to have my mash probe on the "in" side but the temp was always the same as the HLT temp so it was redundant.

So I moved the mash probe to the "out" point so that I'd know when the mash had reached the target temp set by the HLT as there's always a delay between when HLT reaches target and MLT reaches target when ramping up. This lets me know once mash has reached the target so that I can start a timer, am ready to sparge, etc.

Kal

Thanks Kal. I agree that the mash in temp is not necessary. Running the pumps wide open causes the mash in temp to follow the hlt closely. It is interesting info watch as you ramp temps. If they did not have the 1/32 DIN PIDs I would not have bothered.

Back