My efficiency for my last 22 brews.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
I purchased a barley crusher back in early October and have been getting great efficiencies with it. So, I thought I would go through my Beersmith records and see how it compares to before I was using the crusher. I always batch sparge twice and slowly let my mash tun drain into the brew pot.

With barley crusher--

83%, 86, 84, 81, 81, 68(2nd lager), 80, 78, 74, 80
That comes out to an average % of 79.5%

Pre barley crusher--

79%, 57(first lager), 70, 77, 72, 79, 51, 77, 71, 77, 59, 70
Average=69.9%

So, I did gain about 10% with the crusher. It will pay for itself in due time. I still have room for a lot of improvement when it comes to brewing big beers like dopplebocks.

cool deal I like how you added the empirical evidence to back up all the "OMG BARLEY CRUSHER IS TEH BEST" threads

Thanks!

Waiting to take delivery of my Barley Crusher. I've been using a Corona mill for over a decade and has served me well, just a pita to use. For single infusion I would run in the low 80's and made it to 90 with a double decoction. Part of me is actually afraid to change a good thing but if I didn't say it before, they are a pita.

Why are 'lagers' lower? Were they both really big beers? Did they have weird grains?

My efficiency has been over 80% with every batch using the barley crusher.

Waiting to take delivery of my Barley Crusher. I've been using a Corona mill for over a decade and has served me well, just a pita to use. For single infusion I would run in the low 80's and made it to 90 with a double decoction. Part of me is actually afraid to change a good thing but if I didn't say it before, they are a pita.

Congrats on your new mill. I understand your trepidation, but I don't think you will regret the purchase. I agree, the Corona mill will work, but they are a real pita. My experience with the Barley Crusher has been single infusion mashes consistently at 90% BH efficiency. Of all my equiptment, I would hate to part with it most.

The lager thing may have been because of a special mash... that would be my guess anyhow.

Yes, the BC is nice, and the savings EASILY pay for it when you buy your first 2 sacks of bulk malt.

$36 for (55lb) bulk Pilsner?

$90 for (55lb) NON bulk Pilsner?

$54 savings on a SINGLE sack!!!

Back