My eBIAB System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 80509

Reaction score
Big thanks to all the posters on this forum for the ideas that went into my build.

I had a 3 vessel propane cooler setup and I was getting tired of the hassle of a brew day. With a new system I wanted to go with eBIAB for simplicity, time savings, and the ability to replicate temperatures across multiple brews.

The system is based off a 15 gal Spike Kettle with some custom TC ports in the kettle and the lid.

I've knocked out 1 brew on the system to far, a Pale Ale. I hit 72% efficiency, which is what I was shooting for through Beersmith. Definitely found a few things I can do differently and tweak to boost that number. I'll be brewing again in a few days.

Looks nice. I am thinking of doing something similar. Cheers!

Very nice build. It's taken a couple of years for my system to evolve to the point where yours is already! I like how it is self-contained and I like the Spike kettle. Can you share the kettle design?

Very nice.

I have a similar system, and recently learned that I wasn't getting full conversion without a 90 minute mash! While you're breaking in the new gear, I encourage you to try the conversion efficiency test at Braukaiser. It's very easy, you just take gravity readings and compare them to a theoretical maximum gravity, which itself is a function of mash thickness.

http://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/inde...ng_Efficiency#Measuring_conversion_efficiency

I'm glad I don't have a system like yours. My simple bag in a kettle with no fancy controls gets full conversion in under 30 minutes.

I'm glad I don't have a system like yours. My simple bag in a kettle with no fancy controls gets full conversion in under 30 minutes.

I'm very happy for you. I'm stuck until I control my own crush, though. I doubt my conversion speed has anything to do with my fancy controls.

I've thought about milling my own, but right now I am happier not investing the space and active time, and just waiting longer on the mash. I'm sure I'll cave in eventually because I like gear.

I'm glad your system works well for you. There is something to be said about simplicity, but this system is what I wanted, and I am very happy with it so far. Having brewed for a number of years now, I got tired of propane and I wanted to go electric. eBIAB suits my needs perfectly.

I brewed a milk stout last week. With some tweaks to the system and my process I was able to hit 82% efficiency. I am going to move the ball valve from the pump output to the TC on the kettle for easier flow control and to prevent loss of wort when transferring hoses to my chiller. Also had my LHBS double mill my grains this time and I feel like I got a much better result with my mash.

Next step is to add another TC port near the top of the kettle and build a condenser a la BrunDog. That way I don't have to brew with my garage door and side door open to exhaust the steam.

System looks really nice!!

I’m torn between buildings a 3 vessel Herms system or or go with ebiab. I’ve been buying and building over time and looking for good deals when purchasing the items.

Where did you get the false bottom? Is that panel from Electric Brew Supply?

System looks really nice!!

I’m torn between buildings a 3 vessel Herms system or or go with ebiab. I’ve been buying and building over time and looking for good deals when purchasing the items.

Where did you get the false bottom? Is that panel from Electric Brew Supply?

Thanks! I got the false bottom from brewhardware.com (False Bottom for BIAB). And the panel is the BIAB kit from Electric Brew Supply. Even with limited electrical know-how it was surprisingly simple to put together. And any questions that I had they were very responsive and helpful over the phone.

I like it a lot. My needs when looking at a control panel were for it to be 220v and to be able to power a pump. This kit met those needs. Are there cheaper options out there? Sure. But I was not really wanting to build my own from scratch and I knew that the design of the EBS panel was something that worked. The only thing that I would change, and I most likely will change soon, is to swap out the PID with an Auber EZboil for the ease of a dial control vs inputting element output via the buttons. But that's more of a nice to have vs a functionality issue.

I was very impressed with the customer service of ebrewsupply also. The kit arrived quickly Also they answered my emails quickly and when I called they were more than happy to answer any dumb (and obvious) questions that I had about wiring the thing up and operation of the PID.

I would love to build a Raspberry Pi based controller at some point, but for now this works well.

Well, the setup i'm planing to build will look like Frankenstein's laboratory with giant blade switches to engage the lightening compared to your mission control setup.
Very nice!

I have an inkbird temp controller but may end up going with an RPI based control since I have a few here.
But I still need to make room in the basement for a dedicated spot.

Back