my dogs love beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liebertron

Reaction score
I share my beer with my dogs often. Both are big dogs, only give them an ounce or two. Interested to see if they like home brew, will know shortly!

In case you don't already know beer is very toxic to animals. Hops can be very lethal for dogs as well as the alcohol. They do make "dog beer", I don't know much about it, just saw it in a magazine.

In case you don't already know beer is very toxic to animals. Hops can be very lethal for dogs as well as the alcohol. They do make "dog beer", I don't know much about it, just saw it in a magazine.

I am going to quote the OP

"Will know shortly!"

Been giving my dogs beer for years. Bulldogs used to drink large quantities of beer from old english pubs.

Dogs DEFINITELY should not eat straight hops. But beer is fine. People tend to baby their dogs too much anyway. Id sing a different tune to someone feeding their dog large quantities of beer, which I am sure is where the fear grew from.

I used to have an english setter that was an absolute lush. If you set down an empty can she would rip it apart to get the last drops out of the bottom. Never seemed to hurt her any (she lived to 13 years old) other than make her a mean drunk.

My 10 month old Bulldog absolutely loves beer. I learned the hard way when I set a pint of homebrew on the floor and she damn near drank the whole thing. My Pit/pound mix loved White Russians... found out the same way as the beer LOL

One of my dogs seems to only like stouts. I can set a beer down and she will not touch it, but if I set a glass of stout down she will consume it if I turn away.

Go figure.

Alcohol is toxic to humans, too. Ever been drunk before? Alcohol can also be lethal to humans. Quantity is the enemy here. An ounce or 2 of beer is not going to hurt a dog.

I had a little dog JoJo who lived to 19 years old. He would go looking for beer if you asked him wheres the beerzz. He would stick his face in your glass and lap as much out as he could. We wouldnt let him drink too much though.

my old roomates dog would intentially knock beer cans off the coffee table just so he could lick them up. He knew what the cans looked like too if it was a pop can wouldnt come close only going for the beer.

I once gave our Boston Terrier a couple oz of beer, she didn't act all that differently... until we found a puddle of piss in the bathroom... Just like a real human!

I've got a jack Russell that goes crazy for beer,to the point of being downright annoying begging for it. I give her sips here and there... Kinda funny how the begging mellows out once she's had a few laps from the beer glass. I feel that I'm in no way harming her.

My boxer will drink a beer with me, then go lay out in the sun and nap.. haha I thought about doing that but I'm sure the neighbors would call an ambulance if they saw me laying out in the yard next to my dog haha

Babying or not I wouldn't share anything too hoppy with my dog. Both because I'd worry a little about the hops and because I like them too much. He gets all the bacon treats so I figure it's only fair I get the hoppy treats and we can split the stouts and whatnot.

My American bulldog also loves beer. He knows when you are drinking one from a can or bottle or mug. He will come sit by you and try to give you his paw to shake or will actually paw at your arm to get to the beer. He's deff home brewers best friend :mug:

Dont ask me how I know but if you give a dog too much beer they will pass out in your lap and piss all over you.

I've got a jack Russell that goes crazy for beer,to the point of being downright annoying begging for it. I give her sips here and there... Kinda funny how the begging mellows out once she's had a few laps from the beer glass. I feel that I'm in no way harming her.

I have the exact same thing happen with my jack russel!!!

I give my lab cross a half a beer (porters and stouts) whenever she has had a day or two of diarrhea. The alcohol from the beer is enough to calm her stomach and provide her relief. The next day her diarrhea is gone.
This is an old farmer's home remedy I was told about when I was a kid by my grandfather. It was a simple solution to avoid a costly trip for the vet to come out.
It also works on humans too... Just sip it slowly, no power chugging.

Redbeard5289

had a basset hound once years ago. Dad had a party one night, the next day we noticed all the cups knocked off the picnic tables. The dog helped himself to all the leftover and the next day laid in the shade by the porch looking up at you with those big sad eyes.
First time I seen a hungover dog.

After a day of fishing or hunting I always get PBR, kind of a tradition. My Shorthair gets one (a few oz. at a time by the camp fire) and the rest go in the cooler. He's actually been known to drop an elk leg to come get his beer.

If I had a patient come in claiming that they regularly gave their pet (dog or cat) beer or any sort of alcohol for that matter I would be extremely concerned. We all know what alcohol abuse can do to humans but even a small amount of alcohol added to the diet of a dog can have extremely harmful effects. We all know that raw hops are extremely toxics to dogs when ingested and while i would not worry about the hops in a finished beer I would be extremely concerned with the alcohol content. Their stomachs, livers, and kidneys cannot metabolize or handle any alcohol. While you claim that dogs love beer I would have to encourage you that if you want to give your dog a special treat give them a piece of bacon or lunch meat, they will enjoy it just as much if not more.

chromados, DVM

Back