My daughter, the geek...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I always knew my daughter was a bit of a geek. Plays in the school band, reads books, knows and enjoys Sci-fi stuff. But the truth hit hard last night when she asked;

'So, what do you know about this "Dr. Who" guy?'

So we watched a more recent episode with one of the new Doctors (TBH I've really only ever seen one or two eps and that was way back in the early 80's!)

And then we watched a few eps from 1975; "The Ark in Space" or something like that.

She said she liked the older one better... I'd like to agree with her, but the old ones don't have the new Rose sidekick! :rockin:

Good for you. I hope my kids end up geeky.

She said she liked the older one better... I'd like to agree with her, but the old ones don't have the new Rose sidekick! :rockin:

Watch the episode from the new series entitled "Blink". I think it is the third season. It is one of the best episodes of any Sci-Fi TV show. Oh, and it doesn't require knowledge of previous episodes or anything, it pretty much stands on its own merits.

I've only recently started watching, and haven't seen any of the older ones. But David Tennant is a great Dr. Who, and Rose (Billie Piper) is an excellent sidekick and very easy on the eyes!

Watch the episode from the new series entitled "Blink". I think it is the third season. It is one of the best episodes of any Sci-Fi TV show. Oh, and it doesn't require knowledge of previous episodes or anything, it pretty much stands on its own merits.

Hmm...haven't seen this one yet. Personally, my favorite so far is "Midnight". Mainly a single set, very good acting, very creepy.

I've only recently started watching, and haven't seen any of the older ones. But David Tennant is a great Dr. Who, and Rose (Billie Piper) is an excellent sidekick and very easy on the eyes!

The newer Ep we watched had the previous Doctor, Eccelston, or some such. He kind of reminds me of Colin Hay from Men At Work.

There is so much back story and interesting side notes about the series. I'm afraid this may become her new obsession, like having to watch EVERY episode of The Simpsons, Futurama, Heroes, etc.

Watching last night reminded me how much I loved the creepy theme song!

I've never been a huge follower, I've seen various episodes over the years, starting with Tom Baker as the doctor. I liked David Tennant quite a bit, but really like Matt Smith in the latest series. Also, nothing wrong with Rose, but I'm also finding Amy Pond a bit more to my liking!

I've never been a huge follower, I've seen various episodes over the years, starting with Tom Baker as the doctor. I liked David Tennant quite a bit, but really like Matt Smith in the latest series. Also, nothing wrong with Rose, but I'm also finding Amy Pond a bit more to my liking!

Oh my. I may need to see if I can catch some of the newer episodes with Amy Pond (a quick internet search revealed these nice pics that are SFW)

I will add that they could have done better with the actress that played Donna Noble.

Got you beat. My daughter *loves* Dr. Who, and she's five. She's also a huge fangirl of the "Avatar" animated series, she dressed up as "Katara" for Halloween.

74354_10150310470765302_828400301_15517740_7625629_n.jpg

katara1.png

I will say, though, this is entirely my wife's fault.

Got you beat. My daughter *loves* Dr. Who, and she's five. She's also a huge fangirl of the "Avatar" animated series, she dressed up as "Katara" for Halloween.

74354_10150310470765302_828400301_15517740_7625629_n.jpg

katara1.png

I will say, though, this is entirely my wife's fault.

I'm not trying to argue here, but I don't consider Avatar to be a Geek thing. That's just a kids cartoon...

Call me back when she's read all of the LOTR books and hates the animated LOTR movies! :D

Oh, I think Avatar is a geek thing, absolutely. My wife agrees, and she *knows* geekdom!

How 'bout when my wife read her "The Hobbit" last summer, and she drew pictures of all the characters? They're still hanging on her walls.

That's awesome! My daughter is 8 and has been devouring the Harry Potter books and she and her 2 'top level' friends (I'm a pretty big geek, but I always called them 'best friends') play Harry Potter every day at recess.

Science is her strongest subject ~ tested at the 8th grade level! She is a huge fan of Mythbusters, How Its Made, just about anything on Discovery, Smithsonian Channel, History, etc. She always gets a kick out of Star Trek TNG when I have it on Sunday afternoons. She hasn't gotten into Doctor Who, but maybe its high time that I got her started with the Tom Baker (my personal favorite.)

Hmm, my kid's learning his letters and numbers and picking up a little bit of reading. He's having a harder time with the letters, but seems to have a pretty good grasp of the numbers and adding them together. He mentioned he wanted to be a scientist.

He has also been drawing a lot of dragon pictures lately and his mother is a pretty good artist. So, I figure, if the scientist thing doesn't work out for him, he's got a pretty good backup in the deeply rewarding tattoo field!

Avatar is one of the best written Cartoons I have ever watched. The movie sucked balls though

Oh, I think Avatar is a geek thing, absolutely. My wife agrees, and she *knows* geekdom!

How 'bout when my wife read her "The Hobbit" last summer, and she drew pictures of all the characters? They're still hanging on her walls.

I'll have to take your word for it. I have never watched more than a few seconds of the show. Kind of looked like Pokemon or Yu Gi Oh stuff to me.

It sounds like she is on the right track, but you'll see when she hits her early teens when her friends are telling her what's cool and what's not.

I'm not trying to argue here, but I don't consider Avatar to be a Geek thing. That's just a kids cartoon...

Call me back when she's read all of the LOTR books and hates the animated LOTR movies! :D

It's a geek thing. I know adults who follow it.

Hmm.. Intriguing, but honestly, after what I've seen, it would probably just irritate me. The animation style is just not for me.

We watched Time Bandits on Netflix last night. Caught my eye while browsing titles. Wow that was kind of a bad movie! I remember it being much better. I don't think the kids liked it that much either. The older one decided to head off to the shower before it was over.

We watched Time Bandits on Netflix last night. Caught my eye while browsing titles. Wow that was kind of a bad movie!

Classic! Unfortunately, most of the movies I loved as a kid (Time Bandits, Clash of the Titans) are actually really bad when watched today.

I've watched Dr Who since it started in 1963. I took quite a few years off watching it during the years I thought I was an adult. Now that I'm a kid again, I'm loving it! :D

Interesting side notes.
Richard dawkins married one of his sidekicks. (Lalla Ward)
Douglas Adams was one of the show's writers

It's really good, actually. It's totally not my thing (I'm a dork, not a geek), but Avatar's really well-written.

Yes it is.

Hmm.. Intriguing, but honestly, after what I've seen, it would probably just irritate me. The animation style is just not for me.

We watched Time Bandits on Netflix last night. Caught my eye while browsing titles. Wow that was kind of a bad movie! I remember it being much better. I don't think the kids liked it that much either. The older one decided to head off to the shower before it was over.

What animation style do you like? I like the Avatar animation personally, it seems to be a good blend of eastern and western influences.

I like the Avatar animation personally, it seems to be a good blend of eastern and western influences.

I agree. My little sister watches the show all the time and got me hooked on it. Despite it being for a target audience much younger than me, I enjoyed it.

Call it weirdness or irony, but i just finished constructing a tap handle out of my 9th/10th Doctor (Eccleston/Tennant) Sonic Screwdriver. Looks GORGEOUS on a Perlick, too.

My wife and i are huge fans. We've been marathoning all the new series from Eccleston to Smith in order. I do miss Rose, though the new companion, Amy is ...quite nice. :rockin:

Anyhow, here's my tap handle. And yes, it still works. Light ups, makes noises, etc.
167172_493825788093_616883093_5858809_8038902_n.jpg

I worked quite hard to instill geekdom in my daughter. I considered it a vaccine against teen pregnancy. It's worked so far!

This is us with one of her Christmas gifts this year.
163189_747791098753_27223276_41031163_1615919_n.jpg

We've both followed the new Doctor Who and Torchwood very closely and have seen every episode... but Star Wars is her favorite.

I still have fond memories of watching Dr Who with my dad on our local PBS station. We saw reruns of Tom Baker, Peter Davison, as well as Colin Baker. I watched the first couple seasons of the new doctor, but found it tiring after awhile: it had a similar campiness as the original.....but no one is going to be as good as Tom Baker as the doctor. To this day, I equate the doctor as always asking "Would you like a jelly baby?"

I worked quite hard to instill geekdom in my daughter. I considered it a vaccine against teen pregnancy. It's worked so far!

This is us with one of her Christmas gifts this year.
163189_747791098753_27223276_41031163_1615919_n.jpg

We've both followed the new Doctor Who and Torchwood very closely and have seen every episode... but Star Wars is her favorite.

Funny, you always come up with this weird image in your head of how the people on HBT look...and then you see their picture and they are NOTHING like that image! :D :mug:

Yes it is.

What animation style do you like? I like the Avatar animation personally, it seems to be a good blend of eastern and western influences.

I like a variety of different animation styles, but I'm just not a fan of anime stuff. I've tried. Everyone says "Watch this!" or, "This is the best!" but for me, anime is always just a put off.

I've enjoyed, Futurama, South Park, Heavy Metal, Robot Chicken, Machinima..

I'm not a huge fan of the Disney animation, although I usually do like the films.

Call it weirdness or irony, but i just finished constructing a tap handle out of my 9th/10th Doctor (Eccleston/Tennant) Sonic Screwdriver. Looks GORGEOUS on a Perlick, too.

My wife and i are huge fans. We've been marathoning all the new series from Eccleston to Smith in order. I do miss Rose, though the new companion, Amy is ...quite nice. :rockin:

Anyhow, here's my tap handle. And yes, it still works. Light ups, makes noises, etc.
167172_493825788093_616883093_5858809_8038902_n.jpg

That's freaking cool as hell :rockin:

I have no idea what you people are talking about!

I'm going to have to turn on a TV sometime and get cable so I can figure out what you're up to.

But, Homer- your daughter is awesome. You know that, and we know it! She's beautiful, polite, sweet, and so very smart. You and Kris did a great job. Of course, she obviously takes after her mom.............................:D Bob really enjoyed talking to her, and liked both your girls very much.

Bird, I've never met your daughter, but she seems great also!

I have no idea what you people are talking about!

I'm going to have to turn on a TV sometime and get cable so I can figure out what you're up to.

But, Homer- your daughter is awesome. You know that, and we know it! She's beautiful, polite, sweet, and so very smart. You and Kris did a great job. Of course, she obviously takes after her mom.............................:D Bob really enjoyed talking to her, and liked both your girls very much.

Bird, I've never met your daughter, but she seems great also!

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with a tv if I were you. But since I'm me, I kind of like having Hockey in HD, and Netflix to watch old shows and new one (Like the new Spartacus on Starz!, which is pretty much rated hard R).

And I like my kids. It's hard not to boast about them, but I appreciate how little work they've been for me and can only hope they continue to be good people and live happy lives.

I came home late from work yesterday because I was upgrading a software package, and the kids were both in the family room watching Dr. Who again. I was a bit miffed, because Kim said she was going to wait to watch them with me. I asked which one they were watching and Kara said, "The Three Doctors! It's got THREE Doctors!"

Kim went to dance so Kara and I watched a newer episode with Eccleston and Billie Piper. I asked which show she liked best and she said the Old Ones. When I asked why, she just said, "I don't know, they're just cooler!"

I didn't think the little one was into it so much, but I can see them both spending WAY too much time watching all of the old Dr. Who programs.

Back