My counterflow chiller is clogged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbohlia

Reaction score
I am able to pass liquid through it with a garden hose on full blast but even then it barely comes through. Last night when I was brewing I couldn't get any wort through - which really sucked! I have tried immersing the entire thing in boiling water thinking it would loosen whatever is in there - no luck. Anyone have any experience or ideas with this? I'd appreciate hearing them!

What is your CFC made out of? If it's all metal, you could try baking it in the oven for a while to carbonize whatever's in there and then flush it out once it's cooled.

I would try an air compressor set to about 40 psi (if you have one available). That should clear it - then hot PBW, etc.

I always try to clean and sanitize it when i finish but I honestly might have forgot after the last use - can't remember. It is made of copper so I could try baking it but I think I will running hot PBW through it to see if that has an effect first.
I'll start with the least severe ideas and hopefully fix it before we get to gunpowder charges.

+1 on hot PBW. To clean mine real well, every 10 or so brews I will fill my kettle with PBW, heat to 150ish and recirculate. Then backflush and let it sit overnight. A ton of crap always comes out

Removing any rubber/plastic components and baking it in your oven is another remedy that seems to work well

But you really should be flushing and backflushing after every brew if you want to keep it in good shape

Buy a 100 foot spool of bailing wire at Home Depot in the fencing section about $5, push it all the way through until it pushes out the other end and give it a good ream job.

fwiw, I doubt bailing wire would get very far before friction caused it to fold.
Spring steel, maybe, but not bailing wire...

Cheers!

I'm dreading the day this happens to me, but when it does I'm throwing the whole MFer in a bucket of PBW for two or three days. That stuff will get rid of anything!

Back