My cider tastes like riesling!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skadalajara

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Arizona, the northernmost state in Mexico.
And I love it! :)

5 gal organic, pasteurized, whole apple juice and a packet of Nottingham.
5 months in primary and bottled straight from carboy.
Lost a hard drive, and can't find my notes right now, but it finished at 1.000@80F.
This was an experiment to see how it would taste if I didn't back sweeten it. I'm not carbing it, either.
I'm gonna ry to save a few bottles for a year, but with my GF and roommate loving it, that may prove difficult.

Never heard of using Noddy for a cider (but I'm not well versed in doing ciders), especially at ferm temps around 80F. How much blow-off did you get? At those temps I would be really scared of scraping sticky apple juice off my walls and ceiling. Sounds like you had an awesome result though.

You know, I don't think this is the first time I've heard someone say this on these forums.

It was my LHBS owner's suggestion. I told him I wanted to make a dry English cider, and he said not to use wine yeasts, as they will dry it out too much, and instead to use an English ale strain. I asked if Notty was good, he said exactly.
I'm very happy with the end result. I'm planning on trying the same juice with other English ale yeasts to see which one's the best, and make that a "goto" recipe.

Never heard of using Noddy for a cider (but I'm not well versed in doing ciders), especially at ferm temps around 80F. How much blow-off did you get? At those temps I would be really scared of scraping sticky apple juice off my walls and ceiling. Sounds like you had an awesome result though.

I think I confused you. It fermented closer to 70F. My final hydro reading was in the LR where it's 80F with the AC on. It was 117F on the patio where I was prepping my equipment/bottles.
I got very little blowoff. It filled the 5/8"x3' tube once, and blew that out and that was it.
I don't use airlocks anymore. Just a blowoff tube into a gallon jug of sanitizer solution.

Out of curiosity, what kind of Reisling does it taste like? Auslese, Alsatian, Eiswein?

I'm asking because my wife loves Reisling and I've been looking for something that I can make and she would drink.

Have you read this thread?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/

Yeast – the best ones so far (for the juices I used)

Nottingham – This has been my favorite yeast for several years. It works well for sweet ciders and cysers with pasteurized juice, although not so well for unpasteurized cyser. It cold crashes well with any juice. With just juice, no sugar, and cold crash around 1.004, it is outstanding. If you use sugar and bump sg up to at least 1.060, then you can stop fermentation with pasteurized juice by racking. You have to do either rack or cold crash to keep it from drying out all the way, as it tends to strip out the flavor if it goes all the way dry.

Safale S-04 – This is becoming my new favorite. It has a little fruitier taste than the Nottingham. It cold crashes well with any juice. If you use sugar and bump sg up to at least 1.060, then you can stop fermentation with pasteurized juice by racking. With unpasteurized juice, if you don’t cold crash and just let it ferment out to dryness, it leaves more of the apple taste than the Nottingham. It also works better for unpasteurized cysers. I haven’t tried a pasteurized cyser with it yet.

Saflager S-23 – This lager yeast has a similar flavor profile to Nottingham. It doesn’t do as well with unsweetened juice, but is good if you add sugar to bump the sg up to about 1.060. This is one that definitely improves with age. It was one of the best that we tasted last month. It cold crashes well.

Safale US-05 – This yeast imparts an interesting taste to the cider which reminds me a little bit of a pale ale. It works better with pasteurized juice – with unpasteurized it tends to knock out some of the body.

Yeasts I’ll probably try again

Wyeast 3068 – So far I’ve just used this with pasteurized juice, with and without extra sugar, cold crashing both batches. It has a nice smooth taste and lots of body, but not much tartness. However, mixed with juice that is fermented with WLP300 (which fermented out a little too tart) it was outstanding. I’m planning to try it with unpasteurized juice this year to see if that imparts a bit more of a bite.

Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead Yeast – I tried this one with pasteurized and unpasteurized juice, with and without extra sugar, all of them cold crashed. All were good, although the best was unpasteurized with sugar.

Wild yeast – I did several experiments with wild yeasts. Generally, they tasted pretty good until the sg dropped below 1.020 and then they started picking up nasty flavors. Cold crashing keeps them stable for a little while, but not for long. But they do pick up some interesting tastes.

Yeasts I probably wont use again, but still were OK

WLP002 – I’ve just used this with pasteurized juice, with and without extra sugar. It tasted nearly the same as using Nottingham, which is very good, but they were similar enough that I would say its not worth the extra hassle and cost of a liquid yeast

WLP300 – I’ve just used this with pasteurized juice, with and without extra sugar. It was very slow to start fermenting. It had a nice body and flavor but a really sour finish, even though I cold crashed it. Mixed with the Wyeast 3068, it was really good though.

Windsor – So far, I’ve just used this with pasteurized juice. It finishes out really sour, but has a fruity taste. I kinda liked it but none of my friends did. Adding sugar before fermentation makes it taste worse.

Coopers – So far, I’ve just used this with pasteurized juice with no sugar added. It ferments out more tart than Nottingham and has a woody taste which I wasn’t crazy about, but some might like. If you like Blackthorn dry commercial cider, you’ll probably like working with Coopers.

Lalvin 1118 – I used to use this yeast all the time back in the day until a friend turned me on to using Ale yeast. It ferments very fast and very dry. With unpasteurized juice, the only way I could ever get decent results was to let it dry out and then back sweeten with the original juice. I’ve been able to get OK results with pasteurized juice by cold crashing, but you really have to keep an eye on it because it drys out fast.

Yeasts I don’t particularly recommend

Wyeast 4766 Cider Yeast - Tested with pasteurized and unpasteurized juice, sweetened and unsweetened. Of these, only the sweetened unpasteurized juice was drinkable, and just barely

WLP720 Sweet Mead - Tested with pasteurized and unpasteurized juice, sweetened and unsweetened. Of these, only the sweetened pasteurized juice was drinkable, and just barely

Safbrew WB-06 - I’ve just used this with pasteurized juice, with and without extra sugar. They were both really bitter.

Lalvin-1116 – I just tried this with pasteurized, unsweetened juice. It left a real bland, butter taste.

Red Star - Cotes de Blanc – I just tried this with pasteurized, unsweetened juice. It left a real bland, buttery taste.

DV10 - Tested with pasteurized and unpasturized juice, no extra sugar. Both were drinkable but somewhat bland.

Safbrew S-33 – Tested with pasteurized and unpasturized juice, sweetened and unsweetened. All tasted pretty crappy. Basically sucked all the flavor out of the juice.

See? Now there's no need to experiment. :(
Well, not entirely true. I do have a Jack LaLaine Power Juicer and a store that always has a decent selection of organic apples. 1 yeast, many apples.

SmugMug- I'm not hugely familiar with the different Rieslings. It's just what came to mind when I tried it.
It's dry, but not too dry. Slightly tart, with an almost woodsy finish. Well, that's the best description I can think of for the finish.
The apple's there, but it's subtle. You get more of it in the nose than the palate.
And there's what I think of as pectin. A slightly sweet, but bland, almost waxy hint of a flavor that just comes out after it sits on the tongue for a second.
I've always loved Dry Blackthorn. And that's what I imagined it'd come out tasting like. But it dried out a lot more than that.

Hello
How is it going with this recipe?
I Like riesling and wondered if you Are still making this.
Did you add acid blend or spices or anything but juice and yeast?
And I love it! :)

5 gal organic, pasteurized, whole apple juice and a packet of Nottingham.
5 months in primary and bottled straight from carboy.
Lost a hard drive, and can't find my notes right now, but it finished at 1.000@80F.
This was an experiment to see how it would taste if I didn't back sweeten it. I'm not carbing it, either.
I'm gonna ry to save a few bottles for a year, but with my GF and roommate loving it, that may prove difficult.

Several years ago I made a batch of cider that also resembled nice Riesling, nothing fancy like an auselese, but a serviceable thirst quencher. My secret was using a blend of russet, orange pippin and Cortland apples. The russets added tannin, the pippins acid and the cortlands sweetness. I'm pretty sure the yeast was champagne yeast since fancy schmancy ones weren't available to me back then.

Used Nottingham in my sparkling apfelwein and couldn't be happier. Perfect balance of sweet and tart. I carbonated at about 3 volumes and it is super bright and sparkling. Good stuff and really easy.

I've got 6g of juice on right now... Used notty. Smelled great while fermenting... Was at about 70ish while fermenting, and is at about 50ish in the garage. Been in primary for about 3 or 4 months. I should check. I was going to take a taste tonight and maybe oak half of it.

Is there a need to add yeast nutrients to the apple juice? I remember reading a while ago that it might be necessary but I wasn't sure.

OK, I got the nottinham yeast. I will try with apple concentrate.

Did you add anything else? Like citrid acid?

Used Nottingham in my sparkling apfelwein and couldn't be happier. Perfect balance of sweet and tart. I carbonated at about 3 volumes and it is super bright and sparkling. Good stuff and really easy.

If you didnt, I think its too late.
It might slow the fermentation that its not there.

Is there a need to add yeast nutrients to the apple juice? I remember reading a while ago that it might be necessary but I wasn't sure.

OK, I got the nottinham yeast. I will try with apple concentrate.

Did you add anything else? Like citrid acid?

I used Regular juice and just a bit of yeast nutrient. The thing I liked about the Notty is that it flocced super hard.

definitely use some nutrient, apple juice doesnt really have any proteins or lipids like you'll get from grain. and a bit of acid blend is also a good idea if you're using store bought juice or dont have access to high acidity apples.

lager yeast is also a good option for something that will give super clean apple flavor. i find that if i put in any brown sugar or other fermentables in, that lager yeast (some of them) tend to let those flavors come through more than ale/cider yeasts.

just my experience.

Great.
I Will also put in a Bit of tannin.

I think I Will try adding cinnemon Sticks in some of The Apple wine after fermentation

I have read it recommended but dont know how it Will taste.

Sounds good.
did you add acid or tannin?
did you use fining agent to get it super bright?

Sounds good.
did you add acid or tannin?
did you use fining agent to get it super bright?

Lol I literally did none of that. I used walmart juice, fermented in one of my cleaned out drywall mud buckets at room temp and bottled it after about a 3 week primary. Only thing I did do was add a little bit of yeast nutrient in. The Nottingham flocced out super hard and it was bright when I was bottling. Actually took over a month to carb up properly.

Is it advisable to hop such an experiment? I'm quite interested to try this with 1.5 lbs of hops.....

Is it advisable to hop such an experiment? I'm quite interested to try this with 1.5 lbs of hops.....

I'm not a fan of hopped cider, but so many others are. I'd probably start with a small one gallon amount, and hop that and see if I liked it before I committed an entire batch or that amount of hops.

Back