My cider smells sulfuric

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RinTheHuman

Reaction score
Started a five gallon batch of cider on November 17 with local unpasteurized and adder 2 lbs of wildflower honey. Started off ferm with Safale S-04. Fermented quickly. A taste test and gravity reading on December 8 revealed that the cider quit ferm early and smelled and tasted very strongly of sulfur. Guy at my Local Homebrew Supply said I should transfer to secondary, aerate, then add Lalvin EC-1118. As of today the cider is almost completely clear and the Sulfur smell and taste has gone away considerably, but it still lingers enough that is makes the cider a lot less enjoyable.

Gravity is at 1.000. Very dry, just how I like it. I can tell it would be so delicious if it just didn't have that sulfur essence.

Anyone know if it will go away completely over time?

btw, yes I did let it sit with campden tablets for 24 before ferm.

My (limited) experience with ciders, is that they don't hit their stride till at least 6 months old.

I would minimize oxygen contact, and let it ride. Time does amazing things for ciders.

I have had some real stinkers at 2-3 months that turned out wonderful at 8 months.

It probably won't go away on it's own. It sounds like you did the right thing by aerating when you did (but I have no idea why he suggested to add more yeast(?)).

If it was the beginning of H2S, that was definitely a good move. Since it's still pronounced in the flavor, I'd consider splash racking to get it to dissipate, and then hitting it with some campden (sulfite) to prevent oxidation.

Yeah he suggested that too, I should have added. I did splash rack it then add more campden before adding more yeast. The sulfur smell and taste really went away considerably afterward, but not completely. Maybe I should splash rack and add more campden one more time?

Yooper, are you saying that the sulfur won't dissipate over time? It seems to for me.

Yooper, are you saying that the sulfur won't dissipate over time? It seems to for me.

If it's H2S, no, it won't dissipate with time. If it's a bit of sulfur from fermentation, then yes it generally does.

The "very strongly of sulfur" really indicates H2S, and that should be fixed or the cider will be lost.

Yeah he suggested that too, I should have added. I did splash rack it then add more campden before adding more yeast. The sulfur smell and taste really went away considerably afterward, but not completely. Maybe I should splash rack and add more campden one more time?

I would. If it's still sulfury, I would be concerned. I would probably splash rack, and then sulfite and hope for the best.

Reduless is also an option, Morewine sells packs small enough for 6 gal at a time. WVMJ

Back