My cider smells like egg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluemonkey321

Reaction score
Started brewing some cider, all to the book
but over the past day its developed this really bad smell (It smells like a reaily bad fart or eggs that have gone off) , is this due to lack of nitrogen?

Thanks
Pava

Yeah, it's sulfur, it's normal, and what mysteryberto said notwithstanding, it will probably take awhile to go away...even in bottle, sulfur compounds take awhile to blow away.

I would steer clear of bacon, my porkfelwine still hasn't started fermenting.

Started brewing some cider, all to the book
but over the past day its developed this really bad smell (It smells like a reaily bad fart or eggs that have gone off) , is this due to lack of nitrogen?

Thanks
Pava

yes the yeast produces the sulphur due to nitrogen deficiency in the must. This may be remedied by use of certain nutrients/energizers during fermentation.

The good people over at gotmead ahve complex nutrient addition schedules designed to add N to the mead must throughout fermentation.

Good luck!

I hope this isn't blasphemy talking about another brew forum.
over at brewboard.com a member by name of Hightest has what is called a staggered nutrient addition plan. Supposedly it works pretty well, seeing that every recipe pretty much says to use it.
(I only know this because I used to use brewboard until I found HBT, now I dont need brewboard.)

What yeast did you use? I picked up some White Labs Cider yeast and they specifically say it will smell this way but clear after several weeks.

I made some peach wine and it's been fermenting for about 2 or 3 weeks and still stinks! It reeks of sulphur... I did have to sulphite the fruit but still... I'm wondering if it'll ever be drinkable.

If it still stinks, you may have an issue with H2S. Try some of these suggestions: How to fix rotten egg smell in wine - grapestompers

From Jack Keller's site:
Hydrogen Sulfide:
H2S for short, Hydrogen sulfide is produced in all wines by yeast combining with various forms of sulfur, but in excess creates an undesirable, rotten-egg-like smell in wine. If not corrected, the wine is ruined as the gas is transformed into mercaptans, with a skunky odor, and then disulfides, with a sewage smell. Hydrogen-sulfide gas manifests itself as the smell of rotten eggs. Pour the must or wine from one container to another for a few minutes to aerate it. Refit the airlock and wait a few hours. If the smell persists, repeat the procedure. If the smell persists after four such procedures, destroy the batch.

If it still stinks, you may have an issue with H2S. Try some of these suggestions: How to fix rotten egg smell in wine - grapestompers

Do you think I need to worry about that after 3 weeks? Or just wait it out and see?

I would really be concerned after a week or two- sometimes fermentation does smell, but usually not too bad (except for the well-known rhino farts in apfelwein) or too long. A strong rotten egg smell would concern me.

Back