My campden solution is growing mold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakeGrove

Reaction score
I crushed a campden tablet and dissolved it in a gallon of water. I used this solution to sanitize a 5 gallon carboy. i then poured the campden solution into a one gallon plastic jug to save for the next carboy. That was twoo weeks ago. Today I noticed a black mold growing on the top of the water. I am new to winemaking but I am sure this is not a good thing. What gives?

Just my guess...Someone smarter than me will check in soon...But Camden is for sanitizing the must not the carboy. You are trying to use it like Star San, but it is actually meant to kill the wild yeast in your wine before you add yeast.

Since I'm new at this I figure there will be a serious learning curve. I understood that campden was used for both. I will do some research and figure it out but you have shed some light on a dark path. Thanx Big Kahuna.

I believe that for sanitizing equipment that you use more than one campden tablet per gallon (probably more like 5 or so I would think but not certain)

and the campden tablets release sulfur dioxide to kill the nasties, but it dissipates after a day or so

get some star-san idophor or if revvy isn't looking........one step

I believe that for sanitizing equipment that you use more than one campden tablet per gallon (probably more like 5 or so I would think but not certain)

and the campden tablets release sulfur dioxide to kill the nasties, but it dissipates after a day or so

get some star-san idophor or if revvy isn't looking........one step

Yes, that's it exactly. That's why you re-sulfite your wine musts at different times, to try to keep it around 50 ppm. It disapates with a little time.

For sanitizing equipment, it's more like 14 campden tablets per gallon, or 1/8 tsp of straight powered k-meta per gallon. My k-meta had instructions on it for using as a sanitizer, and it also had instructions for using in the must. They were very different measurements- a minute amount in wine, a larger amount for sanitizing.

(I hope that's not an insult.:D)

There's so much to learn. I hate to think I may have ruined a batch. But, Hey... That is just an excuse to make more!!!:rockin:

Back